Water based poly problem update

I posted a question about a problem I was having with a crackling finish using water based polyurathe. I did a little experiment separating out a few variables, and found that that the problem was an incompatability with the shellac that I used as a sealer. The product did not specifically state any known problem with this, so for anyone else who might care to know, Ace brand, water based poly is not compatible with a shellac sealer. I am aware that other brands state that they are not compatable with shellac, but since the Ace does not say, I thought I'd point it out. Lesson learned.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Mahaney

It's not the shellac per se that is the problem but the fact that shellac has wax in it. You can buy specially dewaxed shellac commercially (Can't remember the brand or name) or make your own using dewaxed shellac flakes. Those will work fine under almost all finishes including water based.

Reply to
Wayne Weber

The OP stated in the last thread that it was dewaxed.

Dave

Reply to
David

Thu, Feb 23, 2006, 7:11pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@woh.rr.com (Brian=A0Mahaney) doth sayeth: I did a little experiment separating out a few variables, and found that that the problem was an incompatability with the shellac that I used as a sealer. The product did not specifically state any known problem with this,

I found out lonnng ago, it saves a lot of time and trouble, to just call the 1-800 number on the back of the can, and talk to whoever answers the phone.

JOAT Don't make me use UPPER CASE.

Reply to
J T