Wasteful Packaging

Page 2 of 3
Bored Borg wrote:

Many of these situations can be explained by the fact that the cost of the packaging materials and labor to make the package is worth more that the item being packaged. I have gone through the local hardware store and found many items where this is true.
One way to check the cost of packaging is to look at an items where the package is essentially the same, and compare the cost of several sizes. One example I found was the cork pads to put on chairs so they don't damage the hardwood floors. You could buy packages of 4, 8, 12, and 16 piece. The cost was $2.20 $2.40 $2.60, and $2.80 projecting the cost back through zero the cost of the packaging was about $2.00, and the item was about a $0.05/piece.
If you look you can find many examples of this.
Keith nuttle wrote:

I'm guessing pricing has a lot more to do with supply and demand and many other marketing factors than the actual price of the materials in the product/package.
I've seen the same package of "stuff" in several different home stores for roughly the same price. The same identical package of "stuff' will be at several different craft stores for a different price. The only difference (when there is any) is the printing on the cardboard insert. Maybe a different font or coloring, to appeal to frumpy middle aged woman, rather than macho middle aged men.
The bean counters have figured out the market value of the "stuff" to that particular market and demographic and they price it for maximum profit.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Word that will place a premium price on any item are to call it Scientific, (or a variation), Marine, or Organic.
Keith nuttle wrote:

... snip

Add to that, "Green"

Keith nuttle wrote:

Or any word that suggests that it is for us on aircraft.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

You are NOT kidding!
I pay $50 for a wheelbarrow inner tube!
Bored Borg wrote:

They might have figured out that anybody who buys the kit is likely to buy additional bits later and thus it's profitable to sell the bits for more. Who is going to toss the jig just because they lost or broke the bit?
Bored Borg wrote:

As PT Barnum is credited with saying, "there is a sucker born every minute."
Lew

Sorry. Barnum was way off. It's more like 5,000 a second.

Bit like the inkjet printer scenario. You buy the cartridges, the printer comes free :-)
--
Stuart Winsor

Stuart wrote:

I think that gimmick came into being back in February 1900 when Kodak introduced the Brownie camera.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

Or when Gillette marketed their first safety razor.
jo4hn wrote:

The Gillette Safety Razor came shortly after the "Brownie" as the razor was patented in November 1904.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Trash to energy plants. Not a perfect solution, but sure helps.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Helps in reducing trash but compared to conventional plants they're expensive to run, especially if they also have to be clean.
--John

It may be more costly, but with more built they can eventually engineer some cost out or improve efficiency. At some point we will no longer have the luxury of digging holes and burying trash. Or it will be very costly to ship the trash to holes a long way away. Remember the NYC garbage barge?
Somebody wrote:

The court of last resort.
Recycling is not only more efficient, but less costly.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

As long as the price paid is high enough. Recycling is the perfect example of There being no such thing as a free lunch. The current economic down turn has pretty much sent the recycling programs to the dump.
Dave
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The problem is that trash isn't consistent and contains many components that don't burn. There's no way that a trash-fueled plant will _ever_ be cost competitive with a conventional plant.
--John

And trash contains many toxic elements as well. I read of one proposal that would burn so hot, that little toxicity would remain. The catch?? It would require a lot of fuel to burn up the toxic components. Which may be a way to to take care of toxins, but a lousy way to generate power.