Wanna move that table saw?

No problem:
http://www.berkeleybionics.com/Unrestricted/HULC.html
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
Seems somebody forgot to check out "Alien"; or, maybe they did, and this is the result. P D Q

A system for use by medical personnel was demonstrated last year in Japan. IIRC, they had a nurse lifting patients. They figure they will need robots to help care for the aging Japanese population.
"Lobby Dosser" wrote

A practical application for sure ... and fresh on our minds from SWMBO and I recently taking care of her Dad the last six months of his life. Mobility, along with help with bodily functions, are what most families have to pay some third party dearly to do for their elderly relatives if they themselves are not trained to do so.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

I was wondering where Waldo was. Some of them will even help you rip off a car door...assuming you have a pressing need to rip off car doors. http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNumr

A friend of mine sent me this link. The impressive part is how smoothly it moves.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/25/sarcos-military-exoskeleton-becomes-a-frightening-reality
On Sat, 31 May 2008 20:25:34 -0700, Dan Coby wrote:

The interesting thing about the HULC is that it's being aimed at commercial sale. And that it will carry its own power source with it.
That Sarcos exoskeleton is great but look at the bundle of cables hanging off the back...

The video claims that the final Sarcos product was be completely self contained. We will see how things finally work out. (Was I the only person that thought that the suit from the IronMan movie was totally overshadowed by the little power source?)
As I said, my friend and I were very impressed by how naturally the Sarcos unit operates. It makes the 'loader' from Aliens look 'clunky'.
On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 14:07:05 -0700, Dan Coby wrote:

Servos will do that for you. The Aliens one suffered from the general movie thing of trying to look like you'd expect 'robot like things' to look.
Same principle as the Stealth fighter being jet black. It's not the best colour for the mission it had to fly, but the Generals with the purse strings *expected* it to be black because it flew at night.
Many industrial robots use the same servo principle so that people can 'train' them to do new tasks. In learning mode a huge multi-ton robot just sits quietly and you can push and twist it around as if it weighed nothing. After the training it can do the same moves again with uncanny human-like movements, even with huge loads on it or at multiplied speeds. Spooky to watch.

Best regards
Han
email address is invalid