Wandering bandsaw blade

Hi ...
I'm trying to make friends with my new Sears 10" bandsaw. I'm trying to cut some 1/4 inch hardboard for some templates and the blade tends to twist as I'm follwing my curves. The manual says nothing about blade tension. I've lowered the guide so it's just above the cutting surface. Any suggestions of what I need to do to keep the blade on track will be appreciated.
Cap'n 321

You have to adjust everything. You do have the guide lowered, but there is a bearing behind the blade that should almost, but not quite touch. There are guide blocks that should sit just behind the teeth and clear the blade by about the thickness of a dollar bill doubled. They you have the same below the table. The blade must be riding on the wheel properly, and, of course the tension must be tight enough. They you must use the proper width blade for the curves you are cutting.
Once adjusted, you also have to push the work through properly. It is very easy to try to turn the work while it is not moving and twist the blade too far. I've never done that, of course, but I've heard stories about others doing it.
Dave Marks from DIY channel Woodworks did a great segment on tuning a bandsaw. It's documented on the DIY site: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/wk_tools/article/0,2037,DIY_14429_2278285,00.html Respectfully, Ron Moore

On Tue, 23 May 2006 23:29:59 GMT, Cap'n 321

Is it the blade that came with the saw? If so that may be the culprit, and before you pull your hair out trying all manner of adjustments to the saw you may want to try a good quality blade - timberwolf is what usually gets recommended here. I've been using the Woodcraft house brand. The blade that came with my Delta wandered all over the place for the 15 seconds it was on the saw - though the Delta blades I used to get for my old 9" saw weren't bad.
-Leuf
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMsbcglobal.net says...

My first thought is that you're trying to cut too tight a curve for the blade you're using -- or, conversely, using too wide a blade for the curve you want to cut.
How wide is the blade, and what is the approximate radius of the curve you're attempting?