Walnut Rifle Stock Finishing........

Page 2 of 2

J. Clarke wrote:

My question was largely rhetorical. I don't feel that the world hasn't changed. What has changed is peoples' values and our tolerance of those mostly negative changes.
RB

RB wrote:

Can't disagree. Not sure when it happened, but remember Kennedy, a certified card carrying liberal, saying "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"? And now even the hard-core Republicans expect all to sit around with our fingers up our butts and let the government take care of us and all of our problems. And so several airliners full of people dutifully let the hijackers do their thing instead of pulling them down and tossing them out, because that's what you're supposed to do in an emergency, be a good little do-bee and let the government handle it.

--
--John

RAW linseed oil at that. I recall a fellow recruit mentioned BLO within the hearing of the DI. The DI came unglued. I don't think he had been left in the clamps long enough. He came unglued very easily and very, very frequently.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Tom Veatch responds:

Three fingers, too. For whatever reason, our drill instructors insisted on raw linseed oil and rubbing the stock long enough to heat it enough for the LO to pick up a sheen, which it eventually did, long after we were sick of rubbing. I wonder what boots do today and for the past 3+ decades that the M16 has been at the fore? Some kind of car polish?
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

rubbing. I

been at

"Sheen" had become a no-no by my SEA camouflage days ... AAMOF, we were taught to use a handful of sand/dirt/mud to take it off.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

Yeah, pretty much the same for anything in the Crotch, but during training, and on base stateside, it's essential to keep up appearances. Or so we were told. Sort of like the British in the desert when there was no water...but they stilled shaved, long, long before battery razors.
I always got a kick out of the deadly flat blue-black of the metal assemblies and the glossy walnut stocks. With our Drill Instructors, there were also the glossy leather slings, with brass--highly polished--buckles and clips. I lusted after one of those until I got to ITR and made a real April in NC discovery of mud, sand, rain, more mud, a lot more sand and various insects waking from a winter's nap to gnaw on any exposed bits of our skin.

Probably polish the recoil buffer to try to get rid of the "Squeeky-squeeky" when you shoot.
You know, a nice set of wood stocks for an AR-15 would bring the looks of that gun up to "tolerable". Wonder if there's a market...
Dave Hinz wrote:

JP Rifles sells them. Handguards would be a bit of a problem though with the heat and gas tube. Nice thing about plastic however is that you can just spritz on some armor-all and be done with it 8^)
Does anyone here know if it would be prudent to belt sand my '96 Krag carbine stock into somthing more sporty??? 8^)
-Bruce

But it still looks like, well, Bondo.

You're trying to raise my blood pressure, aren't you.

Book recommendations:
"The Modern Gunsmith" (Vol 2, I think) 1930s book (two-vol set, one is actions & barrels, one is stocking). Out of print for years, but still easy enough to find (look for an ultra-rare copy that _isn't_ signed by the author!) This is the best text I've seen on how to apply gunstock finishes.
"Staining and Finishing for Muzzleloading Gun Builders" William A. Knight and William R. Mende Privately published pamphlet, available through US gunshops. A couple of real chemists study the science of oil finishes and their practical application for recreating old firearms.
Then armed with some knowledge, go to your finishing. Ignore any comments about commercial finishes or raw oils. These do _not_ deliver the right result. To do it right, you're also going to be working with either heated or at least warmed oils.
Tru-oil isn't bad stuff as an effective and easily used product, but it's far too high-gloss for my tastes (and yes, I do get to work with oil finishes on pre-Great War English shotguns).
Thanks for the comments all.

just