Walnut and Black Walnut Lumber?

Page 3 of 3

Hmm... That hasn't been my experience with butternut. It is a beautiful wood, but it is much, much lighter than walnut, and softer by several degrees. Having worked with both, I wouldn't consider the working properties the same- butternut is much more likely to tear out or chip than walnut, in my experience. But they're both great woods, especially when you inlay butternut into walnut- that golden tint in the butternut is really set off by the darker walnut, and flashes in a way the walnut does not.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 23:18:06 -0600, Prometheus

As I say, my experience is based on carving them, not general woodworking. For carving they both work about the same. Roughly the same hardness and about the same workability. I didn't notice any difference in the tendency to chip or splinter and they seem to hold fine detail about equally well.
--RC Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?
The butternut which grows up here on the northern edge of its range is a lot different than the pieces I've seen from supply places. Closer to walnut, surely, than the more rapidly grown stuff from down south. Some of that is a soft as willow - I've suspected more than once that it was, but the burn test said no.

FWIW Butternut is another juglans species -- like the walnuts.
--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?
Swingman writes:

I envy you the claro walnut. It's Juglans hindsii and black walnut is Juglans nigra. Bth are American walnuts, but the claro is found only in small areas in California.
Charlie Self "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." Redd Foxx
"Charlie Self" wrote in message ...

Juglans
areas in
Actually, the walnut that I have is from AR, so is not "claro". I am positive that I've heard claro referred to as "California Black Walnut", and the first link below tends to bear that out.
http://www.precisecut.com/materials/wood/blackwalnut.htm
Also, one of the common names for "Juglans hindsii" is "Hinds Black Walnut"
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/Syllabus2/jhindsii.htm
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04