Walnut and Black Walnut Lumber?

Hmm... That hasn't been my experience with butternut. It is a beautiful wood, but it is much, much lighter than walnut, and softer by several degrees. Having worked with both, I wouldn't consider the working properties the same- butternut is much more likely to tear out or chip than walnut, in my experience. But they're both great woods, especially when you inlay butternut into walnut- that golden tint in the butternut is really set off by the darker walnut, and flashes in a way the walnut does not.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

As I say, my experience is based on carving them, not general woodworking. For carving they both work about the same. Roughly the same hardness and about the same workability. I didn't notice any difference in the tendency to chip or splinter and they seem to hold fine detail about equally well.

--RC Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5

The butternut which grows up here on the northern edge of its range is a lot different than the pieces I've seen from supply places. Closer to walnut, surely, than the more rapidly grown stuff from down south. Some of that is a soft as willow - I've suspected more than once that it was, but the burn test said no.

Reply to
George

FWIW Butternut is another juglans species -- like the walnuts.

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5

But absolutely necessary, for making a hickory daiquiri, Doc.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Fri, Nov 26, 2004, 7:29am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert=A0Bonomi) plagerizes: But absolutely necessary, for making a hickory daiquiri, Doc.

So that's where my book went.

JOAT Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.

Reply to
J T