Wallace 10" Joiner, worth buying?

I was responding to a add in the paper about some tools for sale and in the course of talking with the guy he says he is selling a 10" Wallace Jointer for $150 OBO. I have not seen the tool yet, so I cannot comment on the condition, year, or give any details. None the less, does anyone have any inital options? Is this something worth looking into. I've been planning on saving up for a new or used 6" jointer (Jet, Grizzly, yorkcraft, etc). Thanks

Reply to
slindars

What I know first hand of 8" Wallace jointers isn't much. What I know of Wallace machines is a little more. In a nut shell, they made good machines. The jointers have short beds (given their width) but are well built machines. The GE motors are direct drive. Wait here, I'll see if I can scare up a picture.

Here we go, a real spanky looking one.

one not quite so spanky.

's one with some after market extensions.

one doesn't show too well.

we'll end off with one as spanky as the first.

None the less, does anyone have any inital options?

My opinion is to contact some of the gentlemen above and ask their opinions. I have a funny feeling they all kinda like their machines.

Most definitely. By the way, this isn't a question I'd be waiting around for a second opinion on, i.e., you snooze, you lose/early bird and all.

If the machine is usable you'll save yourself a considerable amount of money. I'd be willing to bet you'd probably own it long past the time when you can afford to *upgrade*.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I found a link on the Old Woodworking Machine web site. The owner als

bought a used one and was "pleasantly suprised by what a workhorse thi jointer turned out to be..".

do suggest learning how to evaluate used jointers before buying one. It seems tables that are not "co planer" (not in the same plane) ar useless. You should be able to test this easily using winding sticks.

Good luck!

Dou

-- WoodWorkerDoug

Reply to
WoodWorkerDoug

I forgot to add... $150 for a used jointer of that size is a STEAL if i

functional

-- WoodWorkerDoug

Reply to
WoodWorkerDoug

Well those pictures are really inspiring. I had not planned on doing any sort of restore job but it does look fun. I'll post my findings after I check it out.

Reply to
slindars

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (slindars) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Take cash with you, and your pick'em up truck. We don't want any more of that anti-gloat whining, particularly during the holidays! ;-)

Patriarch, whose jointer is now a minty Stanley #8. Quiet, too.

Reply to
patriarch

It might be useless to someone who didn't know why Al Gore invented brass shims.

Oh! I totally missed the subtlety of this. You use this as a ruse for getting the seller to go down on price. OK, I understand now.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Depends which way they're not co-planar. Drooping tables aren't uncommon and are easily fixed. You shouldn't even need a shim - a good planer will have screw adjustable gib strips and that should be enough.

A twisted alignment though (and this is what winding strips will tell you) is another question. This just shouldn't happen. Unless a gib has worked rattling-loose (vibration on the screws ?) it can't get to this state without something serious having happened, like someone driving a fork-lift into it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

was that before or after he invented the internet?

Reply to
mac davis

It was shortly after he invented brass.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Al Gore didn't invent brass. For most practical purposes it was invented by a chap named Champion, who was one of my neighbours (a couple of centuries ago).

I've now got about 6 boxfiles of research notes on the history of brass. I started looking into it for book research, then it turns out I live nearby three world-class historical sites for the development of its manufacture in the 16th, 18th and 20th centuries. I even drink in a pub (The Black Castle, Brislington) built as a fake castle out of black clinker blocks made out of zinc smelter slag from a brassworks.

Brass ? Don't talk to me about fecking brass.... I'm up to my ears in the damn stuff.

Reply to
Andy Dingley