Waaaay OT - I need

I figured since I'm already monotoring my I AT'NT DEAD thread, might as well post another one, even if it is way OT.

I had a 1980 Buick Rivera parts car. With a turbochared V6 Buick engine. I only wanted the turbocharger, and the younger kid said he wanted the engine. So, I didn't bother taking the turbo off. Then he came home one day, with a rollback, to take away one of his junk vehicles. Then, he came back, and took the Riviera away. Before I had time to take the turbo off. Without notifying me of his intent beforehand. Aren't kids wonderful, and a blessing? What idiot came up with that one?

Anyway, I'm looking for a similar sized turbocharger. Buick was putting them on Regals in 1978 until I don't know how long. Pontiac had a turbo car in 1980, don't know about other years. Chevy had a turbocharged Monte Carlo for awhile. And the Buick was using turbos from '78 to '87, that I'm aware of.

So, if anyone has a turbo, of a similar size, I'm interesting in getting it. I'm loking here, but not come across anything reasonable yet - I'm a tad east of Raleigh, NC. I can get rebuilt turbos starting around $250, so don't expect me to pay an arm and a let for one. Can need rebuilding, no prob. You can e-mail me if you can help - I'd prefer that, but will monitor this thread anyway. Put "turbo" or "turbocharger" in the subject, so I'll be sure to read it, rathern than just dumping it.

Thanks

JOAT I can see lights from BOTH ends of the tunnel. And, they're both locomotives.

Reply to
J T

Give Junk Yard Dog a try:

never actually bought anything, but I entered a couple of requests just to try it out, and I've heard positive comments from others. It's a network of parts sources from all over the country, when you enter a request, you get a load of replies within a couple of days. There's also a link for locating salvage yards in your area.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Sun, Apr 10, 2005, 12:45am snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Buddy=A0Matlosz) says: Give Junk Yard Dog a try:

Heh heh. Need some more links? Thanks, but I've already been checking there. And, some others. And locally. Either nothing, or selling by the ounce, or they must be made out of gold. I got a working one from a '78 Buick Regal awhile back, for $60, "including" shipping. So, I'm not prepared to pay a whole lot more than that. And, not run across anything around here yet. Fortunately, it's a long-term project, so I'm not in a real rush.

And, no guys, I'm not gonna try eBay.

JOAT I can see lights from BOTH ends of the tunnel. And, they're both locomotives.

Reply to
J T

Put "turbo" or

Waiting for the "inspiration" for this project... What is the turbo going to do???

Jack

Reply to
Jack

I've got one of those turbochargers - attached to my Grand National.

How much will you give me for it?

John Sellers

reasonable

starting

Reply to
John Sellers

Why not go track down that kid and get it back from him?

-Brett.

Reply to
Brett Viren

Sun, Apr 10, 2005, 6:56am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@hawaii.rr.com (Jack) asks: Waiting for the "inspiration" for this project... What is the turbo going to do???

The "inspiration" is to get a approx 2700 lbs street vehicle, with a cheap and easy 400 HP or so, and loads of torque.

The turbo will match up with the '78 Regal turbo I have now.

They'll be paired up in a free-floating twin-turbo setup. No final decision on engine yet, but possibly a 327 Chevy. Or, if the older kid ever fixes up my Luv, which has a 350 Chevy, considering using that. The turbos will add torque.

I'm not real choosy, I want a similar size, but would take something else, and try to trade later, for what I want.

It'll be for the street, I'm not crazy enough to race something like that. I plan on using a Q-Jet, love to hear those huge secondary open.

JOAT I can see lights from BOTH ends of the tunnel. And, they're both locomotives.

Reply to
J T

Sun, Apr 10, 2005, 12:48pm snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (John=A0Sellers) tosses out: I've got one of those turbochargers - attached to my Grand National. How much will you give me for it?

Yeah, right. Like you're gonna sell a GN for anywhere near what I could afford. But, if you're upgrading your turbo, and getting rid of the old one, let me know.

JOAT I can see lights from BOTH ends of the tunnel. And, they're both locomotives.

Reply to
J T

Sun, Apr 10, 2005, 1:27pm snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Brett=A0Viren) asks: Why not go track down that kid and get it back from him?

I don't need to track down the kid. He's my younger son, and living with me. However, he made a straight trip to the crusher. Sigh. =

JOAT I can see lights from BOTH ends of the tunnel. And, they're both locomotives.

Reply to
J T

Will it be yellow?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

How about a Garrett AirResearch turbo from a 2.0 Liter Saab, circa

1978-82? I can give you dimensions. It doesn't turn but I know of no reason it's not rebuildable, it just sat a long time.
Reply to
Dave Hinz

Mon, Apr 11, 2005, 12:13am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (B=A0a=A0r=A0r=A0y) mumbled: Will it be yellow?

Not immediately, but probably the interior. Was there really any doubt?

Plus, it will have some plywood integrated into it, and I'm trying to figure where I can use a few popsicle sticks. This is gonna be first class, all the way.

Mon, Apr 11, 2005, 9:10pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Dave=A0Hinz) apparently has ran out of lollypops and entices me with: How about a Garrett AirResearch turbo from a 2.0 Liter Saab, circa

1978-82? I can give you dimensions. It doesn't turn but I know of no reason it's not rebuildable, it just sat a long time.

Why not? I'll attempt to e-mail you, but if it doesn't get thru, would you e-mail me? Thanks.

JOAT I can see lights from BOTH ends of the tunnel. And, they're both locomotives.

Reply to
J T

Reply to
Mark L.

How about duct tape, it's gotta have duct tape, or at least that clear red tape around the missing tail lights to be a really class act. :-)

Mark & Juanita

Tue, Apr 12, 2005, 1:47am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Mark=A0L.) suggests: Try the Buick GS Club of America

Not sure I ran across them, I'll give it a shot.

JOAT I can see lights from BOTH ends of the tunnel. And, they're both locomotives.

Reply to
J T

Mon, Apr 11, 2005, 9:45pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com (Mark=A0&=A0Juanita) How about duct tape, it's gotta have duct tape, or at least that clear red tape around the missing tail lights to be a really class act. :-)

Red tape on the tail lights? Hardly. Altho I was once stationed with a guy who had a '56 Buick, held together with several rolls of the green cloth tape (the military version of duct tape).

No, I am not going to jury-rig anything on this vehicle with duct tape. That's for wire looms and seat covers.

JOAT I can see lights from BOTH ends of the tunnel. And, they're both locomotives.

Reply to
J T

Let me know if you end up wanting that Saab turbo. Either way I'll dig it out & see if it's worth trying to rebuild.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Just in case some of you are still confused about what I'm doing with this project, it'll be a man's vehicle.

can see lights from BOTH ends of the tunnel. And, they're both locomotives.

Reply to
J T

There is nothing I like more than quiet good taste. j4 ;-)

Reply to
jo4hn