vise screw oil

just finished bench...have two vises, front and end..what kind of oil/grease should I use?

Reply to
Chris Carruth

You want something that handles pressure well, and doesn't "migrate." I've used "white" lubricant with good results. Any hardware store... comes in little tubes. Oil picks up much to much dirt/lint/sawdust/dog hair...

Reply to
paulwross

I use paraffin dissolved in mineral spirits.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Years ago I made a hot paraffin/turpentine mix and let it cool in an old coffee can. Now when I need it, I just take the little copper glue pot out of the hold-heat warmer, put in the coffee can, and heat and melt the wax for easy application. Keeps the screws clean & easy to turn.

-- Timothy Juvenal

Hambone Slim

Reply to
Dave W

Same stuff you'd use for TS trunions and screw, something that won't attract dust. White lube is popular and better than regular grease, but still attracts too much dust, IMO. Graphite works well, but won't stay on that long. Most end up using some sort of wax based mix. Teflon mixes are good too. I've settled on using fish-wire lube (i.e., the tool electicians use to fish wire through conduit) mixed with graphite.

hylourgos

I have been using my bench vise (Record) for over 15 years without any lubrication and it operates just fine, no squeaks. I'd probably use lithium grease if there was a problem with movement, same stuff recommended for my tablesaw gears.

Reply to
Phisherman

On 2006-05-22, Chris Carruth ranted thusly:

It's impossible to say without being able to see the bench. Post in abpw. :)

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

That was exactly my question last year, way too early, found an antique quick action woodworker's vise in the backyard of a junk shop for $20, thrilled with that! Although I didn't know so I didn't check for it, it had the original half nut luckily.

As for lube for the lead screw, I thought of "grease" of course, asked in news groups curious about old fashion petrolium based heavy axle grease and it isn't made anymore, not that I can find anywhere. It's always one form or another of modern tech lithium stinky stuff. What is axle grease? Regular old grease, filtered and soaped crude oil.

However, motor oil and beeswax melted together to whatever viscosity you want (more or less beeswax) done in a double boiler with a little turpentine added to break it up for pastyness, should work well.

Reply to
AAvK