Very Moderate Gloat

My neighbor recently moved and I helped him. He had an old (maybe 4

years) Craftsman heavy-as-hell-cast-iron-beast-of-a-table saw that h wouldn't have room for at his new place. He gave it to me for helpin him. It works fine, the fence is no Bieseymer but it locks securel and is relatively parallel to the blade - all I had to do was replace missing knob; I'll probably replace its belt and tune it up as well. The blade on it was actually pretty decent (40 tooth carbide).

We're building a new house right now. When it is time to do the finis work I'll take it to the job site and chain it in the garage - no rea loss if someone steals or vandalizes it. And if they don't, I guess can live with having two table saws (maybe SWMBO will let me put m woodshop in the 2 car bay of the garage instead of the single bay that would be a Super Gloat, but I won't hold my breath!). I gues that since I'm going to have a dedicated woodshop (14 ft. by 23 ft) i our new house?s garage this posting should probably count two gloats!

Have a Merry Christmas everyone

-- makesawdust

Reply to
makesawdust

I will give you a gloat for that. At times here we sometimes get hung up on unisaws (I own two), etc. but when it comes down to it a table saw is a very simple tool, and there is no reason that yours can't work very nice.

Merry Christmas

Reply to
ToolMiser

Do you really know what you have here? Years ago Craftsman tablesaws were made King-Seeley. Heavy as hell and a great saw. From what I understand they were very outstanding and draw good price now-a-days. I would check it out..... George in Georgia

Reply to
George H Hughes

I have one of those and it still works great. No plans to replace. I did put an upgraded fence on it, just because. The old one worked ok if you were careful about pushing it tight to the table before locking.

Reply to
WaltC

Sounds like the saw I use. I like it a lot (it could have more power). I also replaced the fence with one of the new Craftsman Align-a-Rip (or some such name). I also like this a lot, and for the $ (less than $200) it's a hell of a good fence.

Dan

Reply to
d.kessell

Count me in as another Align-A-Rip fan. Great fence, better price than the alternatives. Has consistently gotten good reviews.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks George. I wasn't aware of the history behind Craftsma tablesaws. I checked, and unfortunately my freebie saw wasn't made b King-Seeley. Nevertheless I am still happy with it, especially at th price of $0.00. I'd say that it is easily worth at least a 1000 time what I paid for it...

My old-new saw's model number is 11329950. The first three digit evidently specify the manufacturer. 103 would mean King-Seeley. 11 means Emerson Electric. Their is also a field on the label that say "Code B67" - from what I read, this refers to the date of production or 1967. So, my guess of about 40 years old was close. Emerso Electric took over manufacturing Craftsman tablesaws in the earl

1960s.

I hadn't realized this until you inspired me to look under the hood but its motor can be wired to run at either 120 or 240 volts. It say that it runs at 3450 rpm, 60 cycle, 120/240 volts, 13/6.5 amps. But didn't see a horse power rating - does anyone have any guesses? Mayb

3/4 or 1 hp?

I think that I'm going to mount some wheels to it to make it mor portable. Although it is lighter that my Grizzly cabinet saw, it stil takes two people lift it

-- makesawdust

Reply to
makesawdust