Veritas scraping plane insert

Curious, does anyone have and use a Veritas scraping plane insert? http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page2635&category=1%2C310&SID=&ccurrency=2
I have an older Stanley #4 "on the way" (I hope), which it will fit into, and I wonder about its performance, is it worth buying?
The only scraping experience I have is with a sharpened narrow putty knife used on an old hammer handle, which worked quite well and this got me going for a scraper. No sanding necassary.
Alex

There's been mixed reviews from what I've seen. Try this googling on "veritas scraping plane insert" and you'll get a whole load of feedback.

Have you tried hand/card scrapers? I'm a scraping newbie, but man are they a joy to use when well tuned. I probably use them more than any other hand tool in the shop.
JP

Will do

I will try that eventually, but my problem is a medical one, of tardive disconesia in both arms and hands. As a nerve disease, they feel totaly tired and with a painful loss of strength very quickly in the muscles. So a plane should be much easier.
Alex
I, too love card scrapers. I bought a gadget when I first bought the card scapers. It works as advertised. It just doesn't add enough for me to use it routinely. It might be just what you need. I think it's a Veritas brand also. Sometimes when doing a lot of scraping, the thumbs can get pretty hot and tired. This think provides a nice break. I turn both edges of the scraper and freehand, it's easier to reverse the scraper when you see one edge getting a little dull but the holder goes work well.
Bob G. p.s. It is a Veritas product. See URL
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page2669&SID=&ccurrency=2&category=1%2C310
AArDvarK wrote:

I've not used a scraper plane, but my guess is that you are absolutely right. In my experience card scrapers work by far the best when used "by hand" as opposed to in one of the scraper holders - and your thumbs definitely feel it. For knocking down a finish though, I use them on the pull stroke, frequently one-handed, and it's really not taxing at all provided the edge is well burnished.
I went back and read some of the old threads, and it looks like if you can scrape (har) together the additional 100 clams for the dedicated Lee Valley scraping plane ($129) that's the way to go. Plus it's a really cool looking tool.
JP ************** Maybe next paycheck.
Forget the insert, spend $35 and get the #80 cabinet scraper.
It'll make the hand scraping afterwards a much less daunting task.
Joe

rrency=2
I agree!

I have one in a Sargent plane. It works very well but especially shines on wild grained veneers.

okay cool, thank you.
Alex