Varnishes

--WebTV-Mail-17717-799 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
I've about given up trying to find a decent Alkyd Oil Varnish any more (thanks to our benevolent government), and I really resist the switch to (bite my lip) polyurethanes. Anyone out there familiar with the Tried and True line of finishing products? My interest is mainly antique restoration, which I pursue as a Self-employed business. They sound closer to a traditional finish, which is what I'm looking for, but I've never used them.Any comments?
--WebTV-Mail-17717-799 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-17717-799--
Tried and True finishes work well but I don't find them any better or worse then most other products on the market.
As for resisting poly, well, I'm not sure how to break this to you but poly is just a super resined varnish.
Judging from the question, if I were you, I would be really careful how you toss around the words "antique restoration". Someone with a really expensive antique may become more then a bit miffed if they were to find, based on the level of the question, that your restoration was merely a refinishing that reduced the value of the antique to next to nothing.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net
"Mike G" wrote in message

you
Not to mention that more than a few of the "antique restoration" folks I know actually use shellac on a good deal of their work.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/23/04

<snip>
You might also look at the Liberon range of finishing products.
http://www.rosiniantiques.com/catalog_c6567.html
Cheers
Frank
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 09:09:00 -0600 (CST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (James Brown) brought forth from the murky depths:

Have you looked at Waterlox? It's a tung oil/phenolic varnish mix. Really great stuff; wipe or brush on.
Have you thought of trying to make your own varnish? Try http://www.howardcore.com/Catalog/FinishProd/FinProd-main.htm for the ingredients.
---------------------------------------------------------------- * Blessed are those who can * Humorous T-shirts Online * laugh at themselves, for they * Comprehensive Website Dev. * shall never cease to be amused * http://www.diversify.com ----------------------------------------------------------------