Variable speed ROS

Was considering getting one of PC's small 5" ROS. I've never used a ROS before, and wonder how useful the variable speed feature of one of the models is. When would you use less than full speed?

Reply to
alexy

Scuffing a finish with 320 or 400 is one use.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Donno. I bought a Fein detail sander with variable speed. The instructions for everything say to use the highest speed. Well, I got a good buy on it...

Reply to
Toller

And a Fein sander it is ! =0 )

Lenny

Reply to
Lenny

I like the variable speed option. I use mine at full speed and rough grits for 'shaping' operations, and at slower speeds and finer grits for 'finish' sanding operations. The sanders can be aggressive - especially on plywood or veneers - I think it's worth the extra $$$ to be able to throttle back the speed. YMMV...

Reply to
JeffB

I use the slower speeds for rounding over edges and finish sanding curves. The full speed is way too aggressive in these applications.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

infrequently.