Variable speed ROS

Was considering getting one of PC's small 5" ROS. I've never used a ROS before, and wonder how useful the variable speed feature of one of the models is. When would you use less than full speed?

Scuffing a finish with 320 or 400 is one use.
Barry

Donno. I bought a Fein detail sander with variable speed. The instructions for everything say to use the highest speed. Well, I got a good buy on it...

And a Fein sander it is ! =0 )
Lenny
I like the variable speed option. I use mine at full speed and rough grits for 'shaping' operations, and at slower speeds and finer grits for 'finish' sanding operations. The sanders can be aggressive - especially on plywood or veneers - I think it's worth the extra $$$ to be able to throttle back the speed. YMMV...
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

I have the PC 5in always run at full speed seems to vibrate on slower speed. BTW it's the best sander I ever had. If it ever wears out I'll buy another only not VS if it's cheaper.

infrequently.