Use 7/8" boards for decking?

So what do you guys thing about using 7/8" cypress boards for my deck. I've come across some 1" (incredibly cheap) and by the time I plane it down.... 7/8". 12" joists or 16" center to center? Thanks

It will make a very good deck. It will make some nice outdoor furniture and grill cart also.
mcgyver wrote:

The 7/8 will work quite well as long as there is enough of future gloat stuff to finish the job. As to the joist spacing, it depends upon your local building codes. My house had to be designed to withstand an 8.0 earthquake with a 4' snow load. I have tubatens on 12" centers with tubasix redwood decking. I thought, at the time, that it had to be an incredible over design, but looking at the weight of three feet of wet snow with more very wet snow coming down this morning, maybe it was OK.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Thanks for the advise, as for the gloat...I picked up a palate of 1x6 yellow cedar 16' long maesuring 3' wide x 3' high i figure about 1400 sqft for $350 CAD!!!!! More than enough to build anything I want. ;-)

I've
down....
Do you mean yellow cedar from the northwest. I could sure use a couple of those 16' ers to make accent strips for a cedar strip canoe I want to build. Nice score, sucks bigtime
Ken...... on the east coast
Sorry Ken, yep yellow cedar from BC.....