UPS does it again (or fails to do it)

Page 1 of 3
Ordered some sanding belts from Klingspor. According to UPS they were delivered today. I don't know where to because it wasn't _here_. So called the 800 number. It's now computerized and no way to report a failed delivery. So tried the Web site, for which I had to sign up, log in, and give them an email address, after which they tell me that I can't report a lost package.
Hey, OSAMA. UPS!!!!
"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Not surprising. I once had a FedEx package that they insisted was delivered (to what was in actuality a non-existent address), and that I never laid eyes on, and FedEx swore it was signed for by an individual named F. Rontporch.
All sworn and attested to, with a straight face ... go figure.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

My heroes. Good luck with your package. You're gonna need it.

If UPS won't let you talk to any of their "customer service" people then, based on my experience, they're doing you a favor. The couple that I've ever dealt with brought a whole new meaning to the word "incompetent."
Best thing to do, IME, is to call the vendor, tell them what happened, and let them deal with UPS. In the couple cases that it's happened to me, (one was Rockler, I forget the other) they've just re-shipped the order and presumably battled it out with UPS later.
To reply by e-mail, use jcarlson631 at yahoo dot com
John

With any automated phone system, if there isn't an option you like, just do nothing and hang on the line. Odds are good you'll be switched to a human being.

That used to be true. Now they just ask if you need the menu read again. If you ignore that, they hang up. Punching zero used to work also, but no more.
Toller wrote:

Another thing you may want to try (lol, you may have already tried it) is to yell profanity into the phone. I'm not making this up. Some call center computers now have voice recognition software designed to listen for key words like this, then send you to a human.
I confess that I once wrote call center software. Please forgive me.
brian

ROTFL!
I recently needed to speak to a UPS customer service rep about an out-of-the-ordinary problem that didn't match any of the system's canned prompts. Here's how the conversation went:
[Voice-recognition system -- pleasant but slightly condescending female voice] Thank you for calling UPS. What would you like to do? You can say 'track a package', 'send a package' --
[I interrupt] Speak to a human being.
[VRS, puzzled tone] I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that. You can say 'track a package' --
[I interrupt again] Talk to a human.
[VRS] I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that. You can say 'track a package' --
[me, louder, irritated] Talk to a human!
[VRS] I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that. You can say --
[me, exasperated] F**K YOU!!
[VRS] One moment, and I'll connect you to an agent.
[helpless laughter barely contained before the real-live human being came on the line]
--
Regards,
I find using the pound zero over and over again getts me there...

And if that doesn't work, try the GetHuman database
http://gethuman.com/us /
it says for UPS,
800-742-5877 Press 0 at each prompt, ignoring messages.
writes:

That does get a human, who can't do anything about it.
Called Klingspor, they're getting a new order out today.
Friggin UPS--for the longest time they weren't able to figure out how to ring a doorbell--I finally put a huge sign pointing at the button and a bit laser-printed note on the door inside the glass--"UPS, please RING THE DAMN BELL like the Fedex guy and the pizza guy and the kid who mows the lawn and legions of trick-or-treaters figured out how to do on their own".
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:48:07 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Gee, I wonder why the guy doesn't give a sh*t about your packages.
And that UPS truck is louder then my doorbell anyway, but not as loud as the big ass driveway crushing FedEx truck.
-Leuf

Don't you wonder why they even answer the phone at all. I was dealing with a ditz with the Discover credit card company last night. I had applied received, and decided to cancel the card after I found that its cash back program only offered about half of what I am currently getting. The guy could not believe that I wanted to cancel their "Platinum" card. He was not going to let me cancel. Finally I told him to listen, I held the phone next to the paper shredder and dropped the card in. I then asked him if he was on the same page as I. ;~)
"Leon" wrote in message

That usually a pretty good ploy with Discover ... they generally immediately try lower said interest rate on balance transfers and kick up your limit a few thou when threatened thusly.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

The guy really started throwing in all kinds of perks and offers like you mentioned when I told him that we usually put 25 to 35K a year on the card. Since we pay the card off every month none of what he had to offer interested me. We average 3 to 4% money back from the cards that we use.

I order a lot of stuff from the US. I always ask for USPS. Some distributors don't like to ship USPS, becuase "there is no tracking". Well, guess what? There is virtually no tracking with UPS either. Purolator is a bit better, DHL works for me, if somebody pre-pays the shipping. CanPar is cool as long as one ships within Kanuckistan. *buffing my fingernails on my lapel*..well...of course LEE VALLEY happens to be a 'local' shipment.
Howdy!

Delivery confirmation is a half a buck. It gives you a tracking number and provides a measure of accountability along with a sticker on the parcel that shows that someone is paying attention.
yours, Michael
snipped-for-privacy@radix.net | White Wolf and the Phoenix narrowwares

Call the shipper, he cares about the shipment as much as you do and probably has more pull.

Aw heck try this
http://gethuman.com/us /
Scroll down to US Shipping and look for, or dial
800-742-5877 Press 0 at each prompt, ignoring messages.

Last Christmas UPS said they delivered something to my front door (ended up being my neighbor's door) but couldn't/wouldn't deal with it. Called Amazon and they overnighted another package after explaining that UPS didn't deliver to me and it was a present. Amazon really came through, UPS on the other hand consistently can't read address numbers or deliver to the correct house.
Call the original vendor.