Update on Home Depot rebate

Page 1 of 2
I mentioned a while back that I had sent in a Home Depot rebate in October, but never received it. So I called the rebate centre in January and they said I was in the queue and would be mailed out next month. I called in February and they said next month. I called in March and they said next month. So I called the store manager where I bought the Planer and they said it was not their problem, once it went to the rebate centre, it was out of their hands. I indicated that it was a shame they were having trouble paying their bills. Click.
So I tried thumbing through the phone book for a corporate number, but ended up with an internet sales person. At least she called the rebate centre for me and spoke to them. The story NOW, is that they mailed out the rebate card in January. So I relate the earlier BS and tell them I never received their frickin card. We'll put a trace on that sir, you'll hear back from us in 7-10 days. That was three weeks ago.
Bottom line: They don't give rebates.

Probably not quite that drastic. More along the lines of "they don't give *all* rebates" The fulfilment house most likely has a certain percentage of rebates that they flat don't plan to pay out, it ups their profit that way. The OP was one of the unlucky ones whose number came up. The rebate houses know that of the x% of rebates they fail to send, a very large percentage of people will have either forgotten that they filed for the rebate or will not pursue the fulfillment house past two or three layers of obfuscation. Check out www.gripe2ed.com and search his site for "rebate" -- It's IT stuff, but the same principles apply to others as well. I believe one other tactic used by these places is that the business and fulfillment house enter into a contract in which a certain percentage of rebate requests is assumed and that is what the business pays to the fulfillment house. Now, an honest fulfillment house will pay out all legitimate claims, even if they guessed wrong and have to pay out more than they initially estimated -- other fulfillment houses simply refuse to pay any more rebates after the contracted amount are paid, even if the rebate requests meet all criteria.

CW wrote:

Or only a small percentage, anyway. Rebates are strictly marketing hype. Never depend on one; make getting it a hobby, not a frustration. Personally I avoid rebates all together unless the rebate is on an item where the full price already beats the competition for the same exact product; then I don't care so much. But if it takes a rebate to beat it; they can go rub rock salt; I'll buy the other one every time. Better to NEVER buy a rebated item but I'm not rich enough to do it 100%.

Pop` wrote:

I've never had a problem getting any of the rebates that I remembered to send in.
Chris
On Tue, 22 May 2007 10:32:25 -0600, Chris Friesen

You're fortunate. It was like pulling hen's teeth to get my $80 rebate from Samsung. At first they denied it saying that I did not make the purchase in the date range allowed for the rebate, but I had proof (the invoice) that I had made the purchase 3 days before the last allowed day. I had to fax in my receipt, resubmit the rebate, and wait another 2 months. In effect, they "used" my $80 for 5 months interest free, plus they sold an LCD to me.
RE: Subject
Call Atlanta and ask for CEO's office.
When you get the secretary, explain you are having a difficult time getting a rebate which while small, (plug in amount), it is important to you and you wonder if you can get some help.
My guess is that if the amount is less than $50-$75, somebody will cut you a check on the spot.
SFWIW, it has worked for me after trying for a year with no results.
Lew
Fri, May 18, 2007, 10:01pm snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net (BillStock) doth mention: I mentioned a while back that I had sent in a Home Depot rebate in October, but never received it. <snip>
Hehehe I'll shop at Lowes, but not at Home Desperate.
On Fri, 18 May 2007 23:40:32 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Lowes isn't any better. There are just as many complaints about people not getting rebates from Lowes as from HD. I'm lucky, the last time I did one of those gift card things from each one, I got it, but it certainly isn't anything I'd ever count on.
Mon, May 21, 2007, 1:17am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.verizon.net (BrianHenderson) doth claimeth: Lowes isn't any better. <snip>
Damn all sure is. Every few yars my well contrler goes. First time went to a plumbing supply company, expensie.was many moons back. Second time, went to HD, closer. About 2 well contrllers, period, neither even close ti what needed. Check Lowes, about 8 varites, several of each, ad exactly what needed. Tried HD first next ime too, same results. So yeah,Lwes IS Beter. Oh yeah, when I asked ere tey were at HD I was pointed to the wrong section. At Lowes the guy I asked walked me right to them, then looked for, and found, the esact model I needed. Oh yeah, the local Ace doesn't carry well controllers.

competitors to go out of business in every market they entered. He said they weren't doing anything special; it was just that their competitors didn't care about the customer. Sadly, they have decided to cash in on their past efforts.
Good luck with your rebate, but my experience is that they no longer care what we think.

The whole rebate scam is a, well, scam. Microcenter, CompUSA, Home Depot - they all do it. The "good" ones probably only throw out half of the rebate forms sent in.
Now, I either ignore the rebate in determining the actual purchase price, or, if the rebate is substantial, I'll send in the forms by certified mail. Seems to work.

I remember once I got a can of compressed air from CompUSA, which was free after the rebate. All I had to do was send in the UPC ......
(wait for it)
... printed on the can.
*snip*

Sometimes magazines will act as mediators in problems like this. If you subscribe to related magazines, you might try writing a letter to the editor explaining your situation (especially if HD's an advertiser) and asking them to intercede.
If that doesn't work, perhaps a call from a lawyer threatening legal action will. If your rebate's only $50 or so, it's probably not worth the lawsuit, but it's possible it could be a start of a class action suit. [Never take legal advice from someone on Usenet... except perhaps to contact a lawyer.]
The final thing to do is simply to quit buying things because of the rebate. I did that a long time ago because I got cheated out of my rebate. I'll send in rebates on things I do buy with a rebate, but I won't look at the price after rebate as the actual price.
Puckdropper

I agree with JTs post, I simply won't buy from HD anymore. Lowes or Ace Hardware is all for the big box home centers.
My last experience with a rebate though was mixed: I biought the Powermatic 14" Bandsaw in February, came with a free riser and a $100 rebate. I got the rebate 2 weeks ago, though I didnt send it in for over a month so that is pretty good. I still haven't received the riser, I'm being told by the dealer they have no idea where it is and by Powermatic that they are back ordered.

Sat, May 19, 2007, 12:16pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (NeilLarson) doth posteth: I agree with JTs post, I simply won't buy from HD anymore. Lowes or Ace Hardware is all for the big box home centers. <snip>
That's interesting. I've never considered Ace as one of the big box genre, although I suppose as a franchise operation, I suppose you could. The one in the small town here is not very large at all, and the people, mostly teen-agers (including at least one or two girls), are all very knowledgeable and helpful. Probably becase the store is small, a lot of stuff is not displayed, cement, straw, fence posts, fencing, et al - there is a large list behince the checkout counter, but it always pay to ask if tey have somthing you want, just in case. Most people don't realize it, but they can also special order any number of things they don't normally stock. So, not just because they are handy, the local Ace is normally my first stop for anything I need. If they don't have it, if I don't know where to look next, I'll usually ask them if they know where I could get it, and if they dn't know (usualy the teen-agers), they will ask sometone else in the store that will likely know. Sometimes they know, sometimes not, but they're aways pleasant to deal with, always ask if you need help, and if you don't need help don't keep botheing you asking. Nce place to shop.
Dependng on what I'm after, if Ace can't help, I'm willing to visit one of the local Lowes. There's three that I'm aware of, from 8-10 miles from me. Lowes has a much better selection of stock than HD, Lowes people are much more helpful, and Lowes people are so MUCH more knowledgeable than those at HD. It may be different other places, but that's been my experience with Lowes and HD around here.
On Sat, 19 May 2007 18:24:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

We have a local Ace hardware store. During the past 16 years I've only entered their store twice. The store hours are so restrictive it would not make a difference to me if there was no store at all. At least Home Depot is open on Sunday, the only day I can shop.

Our only local Ace closed about 3 years ago because of their restrictive hours, they just couldn't keep their doors open like Lowes and HD can. Even the really local home improvement place succumbed last year because they were only open 10am-7pm Monday-Saturday.
Brian Henderson wrote:
> > Even the really local home improvement place succumbed > last year because they were only open 10am-7pm Monday-Saturday.
There was a time, at least well into the 70s, when the supermarkets in metro Cleveland were open from 8am-6pm, Monday-Saturday, closed Sunday.
It was in the union contract.
Don't remember how the contract got changed, but last time I was there, they were open 24/7.
When I worked as a kid in a hardware store, we were open 8am-6pm, M,T,TH,F, 8am-9pm Saturday, 8am-12noon, Wed, closed Sunday, and we had longer hours than the department stores.
Somehow, we survived.
Lew
Lew
On Mon, 21 May 2007 03:28:12 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Many of the stores, like Northern Tools, 84 Lumber, Harbor Freight, Ace Hardware are closed at 7pm Friday, the time I have a load of cash in my pocket to spend. I guess it is unfortunate for the stores that I can easily shop online and forget about store hours and filling up with a tank of gas. Having some open hours past 7pm for at least one day a week helps. Our local mall does not have extended Christmas shopping hours, making Internet shopping more easy. Union or not, I like 24/7 stores.