Unisaw question

Just assembled a new unisaw. Plugged it in and pushed the ON button, it tripped the 220 breaker. Now after resetting the breaker it won't do anything Any suggestions of where to look for the cause of this problem? I know I'll have to deal with Delta. What can I expect in terms of warranty?
Thanks,
Tom
Did you wire it correctly and or you lead?

this may sound stupid, but you DO know that to reset a breaker, you have to push it all the way in the opposite direction, BEFORE pulling it back to the "on" direction, right? How big is the breaker?
did it spin at all? not much info from what you've mentioned for me to think of anything helpful...
dave
Tom Robison wrote:

In answer to both questions. 20 Amp breaker and I did turn it off then back on. My 220 jointer runs just fine on the same circuit. It didn't spin at all, just tripped the breaker, twice. This is my second Unisaw (long story) and the first ran fine on the circuit. Since it is brand new, I'm going to let Delta rip into it.
My main question is what sort of service can I expect from Delta? I'm in So Cal.
Thanks,
Tom

Tom Robison wrote:

Could be a couple of things. If you have not done so already, check the wiring first and the plug and the switch. . A dead short will trip the breaker. Maybe a wire came loose in shipping. If you suspect the wiring you can always jump directly from the breaker to the motor to test it.
Could be the internals in the motor also. You can be sure that Delta will take care of you. It is just the hassle of getting the parts swapped out, getting new ones shipped or going to a repair center.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

I second that emotion. give the wiring and switch the once over before calling Delta.
dave
TeamCasa wrote:

Checked out the switch and nothing seems amiss. Not too comfortable digging into the motor for fear of voiding the warranty. Guess I'll contact Delta Ontario in the morning. Thanks to all.
Tom

IF you have an ohm meter, unplug the saw,and Place it across the out side prongs on the plug and see what you get. Tony D.

Did as suggested and there is NO path between the two prongs. I'm running a 20amp breaker, which was fine for my previous Unisaw. Don't suppose I need a 30 amp breaker do you? Wouldn't think so. But...
Tom

Tom, the 20AMP is sufficient. The wiring on the motor is very easy to check and will not void your warranty by checking. Also the capacitor connections may be loose or not connected. Also easy to check. Dave

I'm running my Uni on a 20 amp. it hasn't ever tripped.
dave
Tom Robison wrote:

It's not the switch. Checked it out by pulling off the motor leads and pushing the on/off switch. Magentics work fine. I replaced the 20 amp breaker with a 30 amp. Still trips. Must, therefore, be the motor unless you can suggest something else. How difficult is it to replace the motor?
I've been waiting for Godot, the local Delta repairman to phone me. Said he would call me Tuesday. No call. I love quality service.
Tom

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:56:21 GMT, "Tom Robison"

apprx. 10 minuits. one bolt one pin a chunk of wood and a strong back. instructions can be had at owwm.
skeez

Well, I finally checked into the motor and it seems Delta's quality control is a bit suspect. Inside the connection box on the motor, after craining my neck to take a look, I saw one of the hot leads had been trapped under the green ground lug. It probably didn't show up in the factory as a fault, but did in my garage. Fixed it and almost all is well in my universe. Except the Biesemeyer right side table is1/8" concave. Called them on Monday and they said they would ship a replacement right away. They were very pleasent to deal with.
Thanks to all who helped and answered.
Tom

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 03:33:44 GMT, "Tom Robison"

It sure is.
I recently bought an X5 Bandsaw that was shipped with no top plate for the base, and no base door. The door isn't that big of a deal, but the saw is totally unusable without the base top plate. The box was factory sealed when I opened it for the first time, in my shop.
I'll post on the whole experience once the parts arrive.
Barry
Since they're sending you a new one ... how about making a nice color coordinated outfeed table from the old one?
Art