Unfair business practices

Page 1 of 2
The local super-duper hardware store, the one with the pass-through door to the lumber yard next door, has crossed the line. I am often disturbed by business practices that are on the sketchy side of the line. Placing candy at kids' eye level is bad enough, but when they place a large assortment of Festool toys right by the cash register in a hardware store...well, that's just wrong.
People have mortgages and families and they should know better than to tempt people that way. On the other hand Festool makes stuff that feels good in the hand and is just pretty! Am I worth it...? Hmmmm.
Anyone looking for a second-hand mortgage and family with hardly any miles on them? ;)

According to an Ebay store the new Festool products MUST be sold at the suggested retail price, no matter the outlet. Gee, isn't that illegal, as in price fixing?
Mike D.

Microsoft has been getting away with it forever.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Not true! Microsoft welcomes anyone to come up with an operating system and market it. Go ahead, here is your chance to become a billionaire! Gates is one hell of a marketing man, more of a salesman that a computer geek. You don't need to use Microsoft products! Greg

Are you SERIOUS????
They purposely make sure that Caldera/DR-DOS 6 could not be used with their software. If you didn't have Windows 3.1, MS Word would not work.
Be (BeOS) failed when they tried to give away the OS for free because of threats by Microsoft against PC vendors who considered it.
There was netscape, Opera, and the browser wars. Sun's java versus MS's. The MS "extensions" to Kerberos. WordPerfect, Media players, firewalls, java vs. C#, Microsoft vs. Japan, Microsoft vs. Europe, and the Open Office XML. The battle goes on.
And there is a class action lawsuit for people who were forced to pay for Windows when they had no intention of buying/using it.
Only recently could you get a discount by buying a Dell with Linux.
Remember, the DOJ CONVICTED them of illegal practices.
They've been good recently, because of their conviction, but then they bring up the Linux patents.
writes:

Microsoft is a monster I will agree. They have gotten so large, and so common place that we are pretty much stuck with them. As far as threatening computer manufacturers about using a different OS. I am sure they could, but them Microsoft just would not sell Windows to them. Nothing illegal about that! Crappy, but not illegal. I am not saying Microsoft is a saint, but not all they do is illegal. They have a stranglehold on the OS market, and know it. No one has any possibility of knocking M$ of their mountain!
Greg O wrote: ...

Remember somebody call DEC? :)

I worked on Vax/VMS and PDP/RSX. I talked to a friend of mine last week who is still working on a large VMS system used to control a pharma plant. It was a bullet proof OS.

Used to write VMS device drivers and up. Haven't for about 7 years. But, it still is a bullet proof OS and you can still buy it today. It was a sad day in May this year when the plug was pulled on the Alpha servers.
Greg O wrote:
> Microsoft is a monster I will agree. They have gotten so large, and so > common place that we are pretty much stuck with them.
There was a time when General Motors had almost 60% of the US market(Late 50s-Early 60s).
Their arrogance and 50 years seemed to have had an impact on those stats.
Lew
[snipped]

Arrogance/complacency has knocked a lot of corporations on their asses. Empires have suffered the same fate.
Microsoft is not invincible.
"Robatoy" wrote

Rob, you aren't alone in thinking along those lines. Robert Cringely wrote on June 29th about the same thing (link below) titled "An AIR of Invisibility: Adobe has Microsoft in its sights"
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070629_002360.html
On another note ... how's your Sis doing?
Regards,
Rick
On Jul 11, 7:38 am, "Rick M"

An excellent read. Thanks for the link.

She's had some problems. Another operation on her neck. A pacemaker. Physio twice daily. The house has been totally converted for her needs and has a lift on a van now, but can't drive it yet. She manages to stand and has some feed-back from her feet, but no motor (small or large) on her legs. She's painting and has become quite proficient at feeding herself and chatting with friends on her computer. She's mostly in good spirits but her mobility hasn't really improved from a year ago.
My mother, on the other hand, was wrongly diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Turns out she had a nasty nervous break-down after my sister's fall. She's shaken all that off her, after 10 months..and is now happy as a clam in a super-cool retirement home. She remembers very little of the last 8-10 months but is as sharp as a tack.. just like new. We're all amazed and very grateful. My dad had to go to a home a few weeks ago. He has dementia and has been falling down.
Soooo, with all that, and the new land-lady of my new shop making unreasonable demands (triple sound insulation...putting sub-floors in so glue won't spill on her floor, tractor trailers for me have to use another drive-way where their forklift can't go because it doesn't have yard tires.. just one demand after another.. I said to hell with this, I'll build something instead. So, I'm getting 2 houses ready for sale and shop for some land in the spring.
Oh... and I need a frickin' vacation.
<EG> thanks for asking...lol.

And now that Little Bill wants to import more of his geeks from India under an expanded H1b visa program I REALLY hope that MORE people move away from Microsh*t.
Digger wrote:

He can't import more. That's why Micros~1 is opening a branch in Vancouver; the Canadian government is more accomodating.

I see it on sale lots of times. I also see a great variety of prices for their products.
Mike,

No actually your United States Supreme Court has JUST ruled that this type of pricing is not illegal. Usually the manufacturer tells the retail outleft that if they want to sell the product, they have to maintain the price.
re: http://www.forbes.com/business/2007/06/28/retail-pricing-walmart-biz-cx_bw_ls_0628scotus.html
Only way to get any discount, is 1) avoiding sales tax - internet, mail catalog 2) discounts that the store might apply to a total purchase - "Today if you spend $40, you will save an additional $5!!". That's how I bought my Tormek sharpening system at Woodcraft - on my "birthday discount" card that I get once a year.
I've got a major b-day coming up and I'd like to get one of those new Festool screw guns. We will see.
MJ Wallace

Aren't you the lucky guy. The franchisee here will only give you a discount on non-electrical tools, and he reserves the right to hold back ANY tool he wants.
He does it, too.
Robert
Robert,

Well, I think I got it during my birthday month. I could be wrong but there was a discount offering for all things (except Festool!) during which I got my Tormek. I would think that Woodcraft would have standardized the discount offerings across franchises. We only have two in our area of over 100 mile radius.
Perhaps you could talk to him and find out why he does this? Letting him know, you could be ordering via the Internet and cutting him out directly the next time you buy?
MJ Wallace
Mike Dobony wrote:
> According to an Ebay store the new Festool products MUST be sold at the > suggested retail price, no matter the outlet. Gee, isn't that illegal, as > in price fixing?
Not necessarily.
It is my understanding that retail outlets displaying Festool products are actually "AGENTS" of Festool.
AS an example, my local hardware store has a display of Festool, but no inventory.
Orders are placed via phone to Festool in Nevada and shipped same day to here in SoCal(Yes, you pay CA sales tax)
IOW, the right of ownership transfers directly from Festool to the end purchaser and the retailer is then paid a commission.
Since Festool is the seller, they can set whatever price they like.
It is an old marketing trick that finds limited application these days.
Lew