TV Woodworking Shows--What hapened?

Page 2 of 3
On 31 Jan 2007 21:09:36 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

So you're saying that the Corporation for Public Broadcasting gets no money from the government? When did that stop?

Judging from the Taj Mahal built for upper management's offices here, what they really *need* is to lose the arrogance that comes with suckling on the public tit.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/27/07

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/AYI.jpg
On 31 Jan 2007 21:09:36 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

No, what they need is to live within their means and get off the public dole entirely. But then they'd need to show things people actually wanted to see and be able to compete, wouldn't they?
George wrote:

Any business owner will tell you it's cheaper to pay the tax than to give money away simply for the purposes of "writing it off". <G>

The point was that it was money denied the government, and thus equivalent to government subsidy.
Depends on your tax situation whether you report it as advertising expense, which it can be here, or as donation.
Sidebar further off topic. On NPR this morning the commentator mentioned that Litvinenko had been poisoned with, and enunciated for emphasis "plutonium" rather than polonium. Big difference in availability which was hopefully not by intent or implication.
George wrote:

How's that, George?
We're talking about a business expense in either case.
I eagerly await your explanation.

Not for tax here. BTDT, hope the accountants were right, or the statute of limitations has expired.

I find the biggest problem with 'write-offs' is that you have to make a taxable profit first before you get to write anything off. A deduction at low-level income doesn't have the same effect as a deduction which moves you into a lower bracket. I just hear this shit, because I operate as a non-profit. <G> Not supposed to be a non-profit...but, good thing the Sprinter Dodge vans use Mercedes parts...if you know what I mean.

The "underwriters" of the show provide money for the production of the show. they are allowed recognition that is regulated with regard to both length and content. It is appropriate that the show use the equipment that the underwriter has supplied, without any additional promotion other than its normal use. The opportunity for exaggeration or downright lying is nonexistent. It is a legitimate business expense.
OTOH Those underwriters could choose to forego the PBS productions and take out additional ads in FWW or other Mags. Or they could sponsor a race car, with opportunities to wine and dine their larger distributors These are also legitimate business expenses and all manner of exaggeration and other activities that do not further the end users knowledge are prevalent.
I believe I would encourage the former.
How many of you make your tool buying decisions based on what you see on a NASCAR hood?
Frank

Since it's so insignificant, please multiply your family income by .036% and mail it to me. Email me for the address.
todd
todd wrote:

Enjoy the tank and a half of gas it will buy, you tool. Percentage effect and the law of large numbers.

What "zeal"? Personally I don't give a hoot in Hell about it. But I don't understand what purpose it is supposed to serve either.

Well, just from your comment alone, cutting CPB budget would more than pay for that $250M Alaskan Bridge to nowhere.

Saving money starts one dollar at a time. The origin of CPB occured when there were only 3 major networks. Most US citizens now have access to 100's of channels (and still there's nothing on worth watching at times). It's way past time to review this relic of the 50s and determine whether or not we might be able to save 1/3 of a Billion dollars per year by recommending that this become a for-profit venture with advertising, or remain non-profit, but change its programming model to include commercial sponsorship.
Mark & Juanita wrote: > Well, just from your comment alone, cutting CPB budget would more than

And that is a good thing? Just trying to understand if you are tough, dumb or both.

Did I indicate anywhere that I thought the Alaskan Bridge pork project was a good idea? I was merely pointing out that it is somewhat ludicrous to point out one person's pork as a means of justifying another person's pork.
OTOH, I've also gotta believe there's a bit more to the Alaskan bridge story (or it at least deserves equal consideration with the Kleagle Byrd's freeway).

Our local PBS channel in Tallahassee (also on Comcast cable) carries NYW. Have you checked out The Woodworking Channel at http:// www.thewoodworkingchannel.com/
Dick Durbin

Wow! Thanks a lot for turning me on to thewoodworkingchannel.com. I went to check it out and ended up watching 2 hours of programming. Screw NPR, CPB, PBS, Comcast, Direct TV and all the rest of the dinosaur media. The future is upon us.
Joe

The future repeats itself continously, pausing sporadically to buffer?
Don't get me wrong there's some neat stuff sprinkled in there.
Then there's the "Look, it's a Festool sander. It's better than yours. Too bad you'll never be able to afford it" and the "Let's see how many ways we can use a pocket hole jig. Some of them even make sense!"
-Leuf

I agree. I recognized the commercial promotion. The guy spent hours making pocket holes to build a mantle. I would have done it with my nail gun and construction adhesive and it would have looked just as good---better because I would have used raised panels and panel molding instead of the stamped molding he used. He could have put construction adhesive on the rails and stiles and nailed them directly to the wall. Nail holes are easy to fill if you are going to paint. And, since it was all paint grade I would have used MDF for the rails, stiles and panels. It just occurred to me that you might not know what I am referring to. When I was watching a guy was building a mantle dressed out with 9 ft. pilasters and flat panels.
But, it takes money to keep a site like that running and it has to come for somewhere. I just hope the site operators don't load it up with advertising to such a degree that it's no longer worth watching.
Joe