TurboCad Pro

Page 1 of 2

I am trying out the turbocad pro demo and boy is it confusing.
Can anyone offer a turbocad file (not just a jpeg) of a piece of furniture you designed to learn from?
Know of any good resources for learning how to use turbocad specifically for furniture design?
Thanks

Stoutman if you can open and work on .dwg files I can send you a bunch or a few that I have created.

I'll e-mail a few to the sawdust address above.

Thanks Leon. I got the files.
I think this is going to take a few months to master :)

Great..
drawings and quickly it is a big advantage to know the fundamentals of drawing these type drawing in the first place. Once you know the tricks to mechanical drawing with a drawing board, t-square, and triangles, you know what to look for in a CAD program and the learning curve is shallower. For example, you would not expect to do beautiful paintings with Photoshop if you had no formal art training. Mechanical drawing in a CAD program is basically the same.
Yes, what he said.

Please do us a favor and keep us up to date on your experience. I decided not to purchase it because of my lack of knowledge of cad programs. Just to let you know after the trial period was up, turbocad contacted me and offered up their new proffesional version for about 299.00. I'm using Corel draw for design, works OK.
I've been using Micrografx Designer -- now Corel Designer *sigh*-- for basic project drawings. I got the last *real* Designer version which is 9 before Corel basically revamped it into version 10 to make it look and feel more like CorelDraw. I got the version 9 upgrade cheap on Ebay.
Designer is more for technical drawing and Draw is more for illustration. Desginer, while not as powerful as the CAD programs works for me and it's easier to grasp and understand. I use it for 2D drawing. 3D is nice but not entirely necessary.
Like Leon said in order to use the programs it's good to know some mechanical drawing. I could understand and use the tools in Designer without having to read the manual, unlike Corel. That's why I liked Designer in the first place.
Layne

Can I get a copy of your drawing as well. I would like to see how other woodworkers are using a CAD program. I am particularly interested in see how you use 2D/3D viewports. I purchased TurboCAD 10.2 Pro a couple of years ago and must admit I am overwhelmed by most of TurboCAD's complexity. The documentation discusses each of the various commands but I don't have strong sense of how to put it all together. Its like reading a dictionary in an effort to understand literature.

As Leon has wrote many times, and I agree with him, CAD programs don't replace draftsman. They are just a tool used by one. With no drafting background, you end up having to learn to use the software and how to make a drawing at the same time. To places that you really need to visit. Don Cheke's website: http://www.textualcreations.ca / Turbocad forum: http://forums.imsisoft.com/forums/index.cfm?CFApp 0 If you have no drafting background, a local college course would help. The drawing is on it's way.

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 16:24:37 GMT, "Jim Giblin"

Definitely use the tutorials that turbocad provides. If you have absolutely no drafting background, you would be well served by going to your local library and checking out some books on engineering drafting. We used Earle's "Engineering Design Graphics" when I was in college -- it is a good overview of the whole design process.
Yes, he can.

There's a substantial learning curve for TurboCad. If you buy the program, my suggestion would be to also buy their tutorials for 2D and 3D. Start with 2D, and resign yourself to spending a lot of time learning the program before it takes you less time to do it on the computer than it would working on graph paper with a pencil. I've used it for years, but infrequently, and I'm now reasonably fast with 2D drawings, but their 3D interface has always baffled me and I've never actually completed a 3D view of anything I've designed.
Tom Dacon

Tom Dacon wrote:

with the x, y and z co-orinates marked on it makes the visualisation much easier. Once the computer model is built Turbocad 3D pro has an excellent rendering engine where you can move the camera and lights around to get different views. Start by modelling a simple box, enter the co-ordinates by hand and stretch, rotate and render to your heart's content. The strength of CAD is the ability for you to create your own component libraries and build them up into complex models. Exploded diagrams, cutting lists, Bill of Materials--- you don't need all that stuff at first. Start simple.
Tom Dacon wrote:

I concur. I have just started up with TurboCAD deluxe and the courses make it much easier. I went through then -- then I went through again duplicating and then expanding on each lesson.
Just completed a house plan, and have done a few simple 3d objects. None would help you much or I would offer them...
It is a good program and well worth the start-up time.
I should have got Pro -- could use it for my GIS work as well and house designs would be a lot easier.

The training cds are useful but there is a better resource. There is a webpage run by a Don Cheke. He has done numerous tutorials just for the beginner. His tutorials will lead you threw step by step. He has become so good at this that it is now turning into a business for him (though there is still lots of good free stuff on his site. Also, visit the Turbocad forum on their (Turbocad's) site. Many knowledgeable people there very willing to help. You will have to sign in but they do not spam you. Don Cheke's site: http://www.textualcreations.ca / Turbocad forum: http://forums.imsisoft.com/forums/index.cfm?CFApp 0
"Tom Dacon" <Tom-at-dacons-dot-com-nospam> wrote in message

Don's site is great! Thanks for the link!
Tom Dacon

Have you got enough from Leon's drawings? If not, I can send you the drawing for my son's captain's bed project. It is done in 3D with multiple layers. Not sure how much help it will be for learning TC though.
Thanks!