TS Blade

Installed wainscotting in a bathroom of a house I am remodeling, I used my new Ridgid TS to cut the moldings (since I couldnt get accurate 45 deg miters w 5 deg bevel on my Crapsman CMS). Since this was in a bathroom we went with the plastic moldings.

Now my TS cuts like crap, did I ruin the blade?

Reply to
Locutus

Have you cleaned the blade?

Reply to
Doug Miller

No not yet, this is the first tablesaw I have owned, all of the TS's I used in the past were shop owned so I didnt have to worry about maintaining it.

If there is plastic on the blade, how would you go about cleaning it?

Reply to
Locutus

Some say oven cleaner, but I've heard it can eat away the brazing where the carbide tooth attaches to the blade body. There's this stuff called BSS-16D or Bladesaver that people swear by. It's like $20 a pint. If you want, you can try 409 first.

Reply to
boorite

"boorite" wrote in news:1157572676.755525.278160 @d34g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Or, for $20, you can get the blade sharpened. Even if it's dirty now, it will be clean and SHARP when you get it back.

It's gonna need it anyway, right?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

RE: Subject

SFWIW, the sharpening service I have used has an ultrasonic bath to clean blades.

50 at a time, except for the red Freud.

Seems the bath takes the red coating off, slick as a whistle.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew Hodgett wrote in news:DIGLg.6973$xQ1.4195 @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

So, do you pay extra for that? ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Make a dozen or so cuts in some scrap. It will wear off the plastic.

Reply to
Nova

I'd use anything that gets the plastic off. Start with paint thinner (mineral spirits). If that doesn't do the trick, acetone or lacquer thinner (but be aware that these will also remove any painted manufacturer's label on the blade). If that still doesn't work, trichloroethane (dry cleaning solvent).

Reply to
Doug Miller

Normally I would highly recomend CMT Formula 2050.

With plastic I recomend acetone and a rag. I had the same problem.

Reply to
Leon

Take off the blade. Is there plastic stuck to the blade? If so peel it off. Try a straight razor like you would use to get paint off a window.

Follow this with a little solvent, lighter fluid, WD40, etc. and perhaps a little steel wool.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Carbide or steel blade? Everyone recommended cleaning the plastic off the blade. That may be it, but if the plastic is like that used on laminate flooring, the blade needs sharpening also. If it is a steel blade, toss it and get a god carbide tipped one.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

More likely you've got a coating or deposit of melted plastic on the blade. Pull it off for a good inspection. I don't think the usual blade cleaning regimen will work if the melted plastic is the culprit, you'll probably have to get in there with some sort of scraper or something.

Reply to
lwasserm