Trimming Edging

Page 2 of 2

That's an interesting idea... I don't have one of those planes, but I do have a Stanely #192 rabbet plane. With a fence along the plywood edge, the same basic effect could be achieved.
I've got several of these to do, so there's lots of opportunity to try different things (and screw up!)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 3/28/2012 10:17 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I suppose the only drawback would be that the fence would obscure the ply, making it more difficult to tell when you've got it flush. There are a bunch of the #78 on Ebay, most of them auction format, currently under $20. I don't know what they typically end at. One guy's got a Buy It Now for $60.

I tried it, and that's exactly what happened. It would work if I had some kind of stop (sacrificial piece of ply next to it plus a shim?), but there's better ways to do it.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 3/29/2012 5:08 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

In any case, I'm happy to have been able to *offer* advice for a change around here. :)
Being, as I mentioned, a novice, I actually made a small mockup using the same materials. I tried trimming the edge material with a router & edge-trimming bit. I found that, at least in my hands, it was difficult to keep the router level and the cut smooth. The rabbet plane worked nicely and perhaps most importantly, was easier for me to control.
"Puckdropper" wrote in message
I've got some plywood with a hardwood edging glued on. The edging is thick (1/8-3/16") and a little larger than the plywood, so it needs to be trimmed to exact size.
A hand plane is working pretty well, but occasionally it catches the plywood. I do have a router with flush trim bit, but it tends to be rather difficult to handle on cuts like this.
What can I do to trim the edging without messing up the plywood?
======================================================= http://www.patwarner.com/vertical_trim_subbase.html

Pat comes through yet again!
-- "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
I have used a regular sized router and flush trim bit. What I do is take two sides that need to be flushed. I put a small piece of 2x4 between them on each end, clamp them together so that the 2 objects that need trimming support the router. Then I trim inside the channel using the other sides support. Then I flip the pieces and put the outside edges in the channel and do those sides. I already know that the pieces are straight..
I have also done it with a number 4 smoother keeping only the blade on the edging, and highly skewed.
And also a scraper. The flush trim bit proved the easiest.