Tried to buy a Contract saw...was offered a circlar saw

I went way out of my way today to (hopefully) buy a General International 55-180. At least I wanted to put my hands on this saw. I think I've finally made my decision, but it sure would be nice to actually see it in the "flesh". I got to the distrubtor's store and was impressed with all the "stuff" he had. A young gentleman approached me and asked if he could help me.
I told him exactly what I wanted. He sort of moaned and told me that they didn't expect them until sometime late March. Then I really moaned!
However, the fine gentleman said that he had something just about as good as that saw. Naturally, since I knew they carried JET as well, thought he was going to point me in that direction. Wrong!
He proceeded to try to sell me a Festool circular saw and guide. Now fortunatly I recently saw Norm and Tommy use this tool so I had a bit of knowledge about it. Come on now, it's just a circular saw right????
I had to look into the mirror as soon as I could to see if "idiot" was tattooed on my forehead!
Bottom line...no new saw for me today.
Chip wrote:

I'm out of stock on screwdrivers, but I have some really nice hammers that will do the job just as good.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Renata wrote:

Yeah, but they both put screws in.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Which reminds me of a line from Rumpole of the Bailey. Rumpole was hanging a shelf for She Who Must Be Obeyed. He used a hammer that he referred to as an "Irish screwdriver."
I miss Rumpole.
Dick Durbin
Hi Chip,
I was looking at the General also. There is a distributor in may area which is about an hour away and I was planing to drive over in a week or so. I assume by your post that it is General that is backed up on the TSs and not just an issue with that particular distributor? Man, March is a long time to wait....
Scott

I think that's the case Scott. The back up is with General. I'm wondering...the Grizzly saws are backordered. The General saws are back ordered. Is there a shortage of cast iron in Taiwan?
Where are you from Scott? If there's a distributor with the saw in the area, I'm up for a drive! I sent an email into General on Saturday night. Hopefully I'll hear something today and will be happy to pass it on.
Dang I need a new table saw!

On 2 Feb 2004 05:10:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Chip) wrote:

chinese military influence, perhaps?
While that saw set up he wanted to sell you is probably pretty good, it is not what you came in for.
I don't think that I would ask for that salesman's help any more. Talk about desperate to make a sale... Sounds like a time share salesman..
Leon wrote:

A couple of years ago my wife went to Woodworkers' Warehouse to buy a Leigh D4 dovetail jig as a Christmas present for me. The salesman talked her out of the Leigh saying their blue colored house brand jig would be almost as good for 1/6 the cost. The thought of strangling that guy crosses my mind every time I use the jig.
I think I would contact WoodWorkers WH and tell them how the fingers broke when you adjusted them with your hammer and would like credit towards a Leigh... ;~)
<<< The thought of strangling that guy crosses my mind every time I use the jig.>>>>
That's where they get the term, "justifiable homicide." Gawd, I can just picture my wife buying that load of bunk. Luckily, she knows how insanely picky I am about my tools. As we were leaving a friends house last week she asked me whether I was going to be taking back the set of clamps I'd just received as a present from a friend I built a wine rack for, or just let them sit and collect dust. I didn't have to say a word.
Joe
You should have bought the saw,
When it came time to pay, look in your wallet and say
"Whoops, left the credit card at home. Let me go out to the truck and get you something that's almost as good."
Come back with a bunch of bottle caps, hub caps, or just general garbage.