Treated lumber for bird house

There's something about the way a 2-litre 7-Up bottle filled with water leaps into the air when hit by a thirty ought six at about 100 yards, isn't there?

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Dream on Rob. I'm in a vast majority. How many Canadians would vote for a bill relaxing our gun laws to American levels.

10%? I doubt it would be that high.
Reply to
BillNorris

I've had guns, but I was a kid. I've fired a WWII Thompson machine gun in a gravel pit. Of course that was years ago. I owned one of these. Colt Buntline 22 cal

used to shoot playing cards and cigarettes with that puppy.

Also a Browning left hand t-bolt 22 and James Bond's gun of choice a 22cal AR7. I even made a very illegal pistol grip for it (on topic woodworking) and had a dodad that converted it to full auto. I used to take it backpacking.

Reply to
BillNorris

Tue, Jun 8, 2004, 6:58pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@wildcatpub.org People in your world shoot 50,000 other Americans a year. I guess they ran out of paper targets. BTW, almost every one of those people who shot other people were using their gun for the purpose for which it was intended.

You need to get a few of your facts straight.

By the way, you pretty much seem to be pro-take the guns away from everyone. How you planning on getting them away from the drug dealers? Hell, if people can smuggle a ton of drugs in at a time, no reason they can't smuggle in a ton or two of firearms. Where we gonna be then?

Yep, I guess if you make a bunch more gun laws, and take the guns away people will be safe, eh? Washington D.C. must be really safe then. But, you might want to try checking the records on gun violence in Washington, before you start yapping more.

Yeah, I've read reports about how many kids are killed by guns, etc. The anti-gun people put that crap out all the time. But, gee, somehow they always fail to say how many were drug-related. And, when they put out a report about "youths" killed by guns, they seem to include people up to age 25.

Check the facts, right to carry states had violent crimes drop - after right to carry was installed. Can't recall what state made it legal to shoot carjackers. Carjacking went waaaay down, real fast.

Ah, you won't listen, no matter what anyone says to you. Closed mind.

JOAT You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're showing escape routes out of the city.

Reply to
J T

Tue, Jun 8, 2004, 7:39pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@gun.nut burbled: Actually the number is WAY low. Far more than 50,000 people are SHOT every year in the US. Every fourteen minutes someone DIES from a gun shot wound in the US.

Yep, that's a legetimate and accurate information source alright. Could have said how many shootings are drug related too. And, how many drug pushers died from getting shot - that would be a plus in my book.

JOAT You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're showing escape routes out of the city.

Reply to
J T

Tue, Jun 8, 2004, 8:52pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@wildcatpub.org burbles: I'm a people control fan. Simply look at the Swiss or even Canada. Both have far more guns per capita than does the US. The out of control shootings in the US is a mental problem.

I take it you haven't checked any reports on gun violence in the U.K. or Austrailia then, they're real big on taking guns away from people. I remember reading about a farmer that had been burglarized dozens of times. Finally he used a shotgun on a couple of the crooks, wounding only. Bottom line, HE got sued, his guns were taken away, can't recall off-hand if he got jail time, but could have. Now, cops can't protect him, no guns to protect himelf or his property, the crooks are pissed, and they know where he lives. Might want to check violence in some of the outher countries too.

JOAT You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're showing escape routes out of the city.

Reply to
J T

Tue, Jun 8, 2004, 10:12pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug=A0Miller) asks: Citation, please?

Way to go, Doug!

JOAT You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're showing escape routes out of the city.

Reply to
J T

Tue, Jun 8, 2004, 10:46pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@wildcatpub.org burbled: I doubt any of my neighbors have to be worried about being killed in their beds by my Bostick 15 gauge nailer.

Possibly not. Just drive-bys, by drug dealers, with illegal guns.

JOAT You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're showing escape routes out of the city.

Reply to
J T

I didn't say they EXPECTED it to happen. But they were aware that it COULD happen.

Are you telling me that no one in the CIA and NSA ONCE thought of a possiblility that millions of people knew were possible? After it was the major premise of a best-selling book? After the "Jack Ryan" series became one of the most popular military action series ever?

If so, then the NSA/CIA guys would be "totally clueless" as well as "totally surprised."

I personally don't think that is the case. I don't consider each and every one of them to be complete fools.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Bjórrúnar skaltu Larry Jaques rista --

You know that John Lott's research is garbage, Larry.

If people *really* want to be informed about the issue, read the following links:

Carl Nisarel

Reality check: look at the title of the thread, fool.

Doug Miller

No the finishing nails are fine. The pliers however need to be equipped with a safety device so only _qualified_ plier uses can operate them. They also need to be equipped with a device to limit brad nipping capability to no larger than 18 gage.

-Bruce

Reply to
BruceR

Don't forget the little factoid that our firearm murder rate is so high because of our high firearm ownership rates compared with other peaceful countries also explains why our stabbing murder rate is so high because we own more knives than people in other countries....8^)

-Bruce

Doug Miller wrote:

Reply to
BruceR

While I feel the hazards have been somewhat sensationalized, I would not give children pressure treated wood for their projects.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Wow... someone finally makes sense from that thread...

Indyrose

Reply to
Indyrose

Sub thread dumbass. And you are just as guilty as I am of continuing it.

Reply to
BillNorris

US Murder Rates for 2002

Murder Rats for 2002
murders in Canada: 582

2002 Population: 31.3 million

Population rankings

Murders in Georgia: 574

2002 P> Don't forget the little factoid that our firearm murder rate is so high

I understand your comment is tongue in cheek but the weapon of choice is what's at available. Obviously there is a correlation between murders and the murder weapon.

"Only a third of murders in Canada are committed with handguns, and that number is dropping. The most common murder weapon is knives. About 10 per cent of murders strangle their victims and another 1 per cent use poison."

Again, according to the FBI stats page, in 2002 64% of murders committed in California were commited with a handgun.

I'm not trying to blame handguns for the high murder rate. As an ignorant Canadian, I'm truly interested hearing what you believe are some of the causes for such a massive difference in the murder rates between our two countries.

Wait while I get into my fireproof protection suit.

Reply to
William MacBain

Whilst I don't wish to get involved in this debate, I'll just point you that you two are debating apples vs. oranges. Bill stated that one in seven end up in prison - that's over their entire lifetimes, one in seven will spend some time in jail. He didn't state that one in seven are currently imprisoned.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

OK, I don't know where in this thread to jump in!

Yea, guns don't kill people, people kill people. That really is the point. Why do we own guns, historically, pre 1900.

Here are a few reasons off the top of my head.

1) To put food on the table 2) For protection from wildlife, including the 2 legged kind. 3) To provide protection from totalitarian rule.

OK, So what are the reasons to own guns in 2004?

1) For sporting and competitive use 2) For protection from wildlife, including the 2 legged kind. 3) To provide protection from totalitarian rule.

It seems not too much has change since the invention of the gun.

BTW - Number 3 in both cases above is the reason for the second amendment. The second amendment was part of the checks and balances built into our constitution. Any limits on ownership of weapons increases risks of us loosing our freedoms! There wouldn't be a USA w/o private ownership of guns.

Flame away! ;)

-B

Reply to
Brikp

LOL! Everyone in Iraq owned a gun under Saddam. Anyone could buy one. Full automatics. Saddam encouraged gun ownership.

What good is your gun against a laser guided smart bomb or a tank. You best be lobbying for RPGs, they seem to be effective in Iraq against your military.

Reply to
BillNorris