Treated lumber for bird house

A voice of reason. Thank you.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Neither will my bullets. I intentionally buy ones that disintegrate on imapct with anything hard. On thieves, they just mushroom :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

You have a habit of ignoring inconvenient points in others' posts, and jumping in with a nonsensical comment like this one. Perhaps you should ask yourself why you do that.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

But seldom to several people at once :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yet another bullshiat statistic made up by BillNorris. Cite, please? I don't know *anybody* who has ended up in prison. Not one person. The total population of the US is. No. Not gonna do it. Back up your own bullshit statement or retract, BillNorris. Basic math - Let's see your figures.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

No, because there are so many firearms in private hands in the US. We don't have very many "gun loons" here, certainly not in comparison to the number of anti-gun loons.

Yes, but that's largely, if not mostly, due to the absolutely insane policy of locking up non-violent drug users and turning violent felons loose on the streets. Clearly the widespread criminal misuse of firearms _is_ a crime-control problem: jurisdictions that lock up violent felons, and keep them locked up, have far lower rates of all types of violent crime.

Doug Miller

Personally I don't believe a petty thief deserves the death penalty but that's just me. And unlike you, the thought of killing another human being doesn't put a smile on my face, it makes me ill. I'm surprised you aren't over in Iraq. You would have a great time.

Reply to
BillNorris

No, because your claim is total bullshit, invented out of thin air. I'm still waiting for you to produce a citation for this absurdity. I won't hold my breath while I wait.

Meanwhile, look at this:

"Both the number of firearms per capita and the total of firearm deaths per population in the US are about three and a half times the Canadian rate." [From "Small Arms and Health in Canada and the United States", an address to the United Nations Conference on the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons, 4th paragraph]

And this:

per capita in Canada: 0.25 Guns per capita in the U.S.: 0.82 Firearms death rate per 100K population: 4.3 in Canada, 11.4 in the U.S.

Yes, folks, that's right: with 3.3 times as many firearms per capita as Canada, the United States has only 2.7 times as many firearm *deaths* per capita.

Other interesting statistics from that site:

27.3% of Canadian homicides were committed with firearms, versus 66% in the United States -- but, on average, 25% of Canadians own firearms, versus 82% in the United States. Clearly, of the two, _Canada_ is the one with a firearm violence problem.

And even more interesting, nearly half (46%) of Canadian firearm homicides were committed with handguns. I thought that Canadian law made handgun ownership very difficult?

Doug Miller

Because I learned a long time ago that it pointless to try to reason with either a drunk or the mentally ill.

People who compare guns to nails, steak knives and cars are mentally ill.

Reply to
BillNorris

None of my neighbors are worried about being killed in their beds by my guns, either. Nor do I worry about being killed in my bed by the semi-auto handgun owned by the guy across the street.

Did you have a point somewhere?

Doug Miller

Legal ownership, Doug. Only legal ownership.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I'll find it but here's one for you to start with.

year more people are placed behind bars because of their failings as individuals and our failure to mend holes in our social programs.

This year's report from the U.S. Department of Justice said 2,078,570 men and women were behind bars at the end of last June, an increase of nearly 58,000 over the year before.

We lock people up at a higher rate than any other country.

There were 715 inmates for every 100,000 U.S. residents last June. Mexico's incarceration rate is 169 per 100,000, and Canada's rate is 116.

Reply to
BillNorris

But making it illegal to own handguns prevents people from owning them, doesn't it?

Doug Miller

So you admit you're a fool. A fool with a gun to boot!

More than 250,000 Americans have already been shot this century and it's only

2004.
Reply to
BillNorris

yes, I saw the x-rays. freaky!

dave

snipped-for-privacy@wildcatpub.org wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

so that one flew over a Mensa's head!

dave

Doug Miller wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

so you want Clancy to be the National Security Advisor?

dave

Bruce Barnett wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

How I converted seventy-five to seven is bizarre. I think when I back spaced to put in the hyphen I accidentally erased it and the five following. here is the report I was referring to.

BillNorris

Not at all. I simply am not a member of the small minority to which you belong, that gets their panties all twisted up in knots at the thought of firearms in private hands. My neighbor knows how to use his gun responsibly, and so I do not fear it. If you think that I should, that says a lot more about you than it does about me.

How many have been killed or injured in motor vehicle accidents? How many drowned? How many were poisoned?

Doug Miller

ROTFLMAO!

Translation: you got caught inventing something, and you're hoping that this quick backpedal will save your bacon. Nice try.

Doug Miller