Total beginner site for making a pen?

Someday I'd like to acquire the goods necessary for making pens, but I have not been able to find a basic enough description of each step, and piece of equipment necessary.
The part about inserts, and rams, and mechanics gets lost a bit.
It seems the order is:
get a pen blank (the square piece of wood) drill through with a vertical vise to hold the blank in the drill press.
Now I don't know many drill presses with enough vertical travel to make it in one pass, so I assume you have to adjust the table up with the bit in the piece to keep it on-line.
Then I don't know what you do...
Glue some brass tube in?
Put it on a manderal in a vise?
Thanks Alan
arw01 wrote:

If you can, try and catch the 'Pens and Keyrings' episode of 'Woodturning Techniques' on DIY. The host comes across as a pretty good teacher, at least to me. Looks like it'll be on 3 times next weekend:
<http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dwtt/episode/0,2046,DIY_19143_35235,00.html
DIY also has a 'kit' which is their word for a quick run-through of materials, tools, and basic instructions that is basically just an ad. Looks like they've got a video up, too:
<http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/diy_kits/article/0,2019,DIY_13787_2277341,00.html
Disclaimer: I've never turned a pen :)
-John in NH
Thanks John,
the show is requested on the TIVO now..
Alan
Thanks John,
the show is requested on the TIVO now..
Alan
http://pennstateindustries.com /
arw01 wrote:

You can do what I am going to do. I signed up for the Woodcraft Pen making class. It is going to cost me $65 to attend, but I get a pen out of the deal and hands on experience of the whole process. You can check with your local Woodcraft store or their website and check the store near you under their education link.
The class I am in has 6 slots and 4 are already taken. I will have to drive about 2 hours to get there, so the family and I are going up the day before to make it a mini Vacation.
arw01 wrote:

See:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pen+making+instructions&btnG=Google+Search
--