Total beginner site for making a pen?

Someday I'd like to acquire the goods necessary for making pens, but I have not been able to find a basic enough description of each step, and piece of equipment necessary.

The part about inserts, and rams, and mechanics gets lost a bit.

It seems the order is:

get a pen blank (the square piece of wood) drill through with a vertical vise to hold the blank in the drill press.

Now I don't know many drill presses with enough vertical travel to make it in one pass, so I assume you have to adjust the table up with the bit in the piece to keep it on-line.

Then I don't know what you do...

Glue some brass tube in?

Put it on a manderal in a vise?

Thanks Alan

Reply to
arw01

If you can, try and catch the 'Pens and Keyrings' episode of 'Woodturning Techniques' on DIY. The host comes across as a pretty good teacher, at least to me. Looks like it'll be on 3 times next weekend:

DIY also has a 'kit' which is their word for a quick run-through of materials, tools, and basic instructions that is basically just an ad. Looks like they've got a video up, too:

Disclaimer: I've never turned a pen :)

-John in NH

Reply to
John Girouard

musials

You can do what I am going to do. I signed up for the Woodcraft Pen making class. It is going to cost me $65 to attend, but I get a pen out of the deal and hands on experience of the whole process. You can check with your local Woodcraft store or their website and check the store near you under their education link.

The class I am in has 6 slots and 4 are already taken. I will have to drive about 2 hours to get there, so the family and I are going up the day before to make it a mini Vacation.

Reply to
vdubbs

See:

no(SPAM)vasys

Alan.. this is a good place to start:

down about a half page and the "steps" start..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis