Sharpie (pen) Smell (?)

What is the chemical that produces the very characteristic smell emmitted by a Sharpie felt pen?

Reply to
croy

Butanol (71-36-3), Propanol (71-23-8), Diacetone Al cohol (123-42-2), Ethanol (64-17-5)

.... ever hear of google ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Here is one google hit:

The principle solvents are alcohols, but they also contain ethylene glycol monobutyl ether. All other Sharpie ink colors are Permchrome ink. For these the principle solvents are also alcohols, but no glycol ethers are used.

Somewhat toxic and you don't want to put it on your skin but there is not enough to worry about.

Reply to
Frank

Yes and my hit had said it depends on the pen. I just sniffed the one next to my computer and it could be as safety data sheet specified and the SDS is specific for the type pen. I cannot say which chemical makes predominant odor. Glycol ethers have been frowned on in recent years as animal carcinogens and such a designation drives manufacturers away from them.

Reply to
Frank