Torsion box as bed box-springs?

Hello - I was wondering if anyone has every made their own box-springs replacement for the bed... using a torsion-box design. If so, how did it go, and did it provide a better night's rest? Just curious because I've got a nice king mattress being supported by two cheap twin box springs, and they're betting to sag a bit... leading me to wonder if they're responsible for the mattress being less than comfortable lately...
Thanks in advance, Chad

The ridge between the two foundations (they're not really box springs, are they?) can definitely be uncomfortable, as well as leading to a "marital divide" during slumber hours.
While your idea sounds fine (I'd keep some center support, just in case), what's wrong with simple plywood between the mattress and foundation? That will smooth out any lumps or irregularities.
Kevin
I just ran some 2x4 across the bed and screwed plywood on top of it. No need for a bottom sheet of plywood unless you weigh a thousand pounds or so. Works fine. I don't really see the need for the box springs.
-Jack

got
responsible
On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 21:34:42 GMT, "Chad Stansbury"

Here in Europe we don't use box springs. They're nothing more than a plot by the US Mattress-Industrial Complex to cause you to think you need two mattresses piled on top of each other. One mattress on a wooden base is fine, and much cheaper.
I've not used a torsion box here, I've always used cheap 3/4" x 4" softwood slats on the beds I've built. But a torsion box will work fine.
Andy Dingley wrote:

I've done without box springs and I can tell the difference.
A pile of straw on a stable floor is fine if your standards are low enough.
Rico
On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 21:34:42 GMT, "Chad Stansbury"

I'd spring (sorry!) for a new, king-size box spring.
Or put a piece of 3/4" plywood over the springs you have. More than likely, you have the old-style box springs...that don't spread out the weight over enough of the area. And it CAN'T do that properly where the 2 springs meet. A piece of plywood will help correct that.
Good luck.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Before you invest the time into a torsion box, test your bed to be sure the box springs are the culprit. Just slide some 3/4" plywood between the box spring and the mattress and sleep on it. You'll know when you wake up if a torsion box is going to help.
Art

Thanks to all for the suggestions - I will definitely try out the 3/4" plywood to see if it helps before I go any further.
Chad

got
responsible
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 02:37:03 GMT, "Chad Stansbury"

WAIT!!
Check your project list first! How will you know what kind to buy...in case you wind up buying a new box spring later on!
I wonder if birch is any softer than oak! lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
Brings back old memories. My last year of college we lived in "Married Housing" and rented furniture from the school. The double bed was fiberglas base, like an upside down bath tub. On it was a foam mattress about 3 inches thick. Not realizing what it was like, I came home, ran and pounced on the bed. Whoa! It knocked the breath out of me. Sort of like sleeping on the floor.
Chad Stansbury wrote:

--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Chad Stansbury wrote:

ONe many new mattresses that's all the foundation is is a torsion box with material to look padded