Topcote v. Boeshield v. Paste Wax v. Shellac - Da Winnah!

Page 2 of 2

My tools probably rarely fall below the dew point. That proximity to the stream probably also has a significant impact. All things considered, including the window shaker I run in the no-car-garage non-stop from March to November, my shop conditions are probably better for preventing rust than yours.

I happened upon it by chance. My table saw was a floor model, and the store owner's wife gave it a coat of Boeshield right before I bought it. I gave it a coat of wax a week or so after I got it home. About a year later, I was reading a thread on the Wreck about preventing rust and it hit me, I hadn't recoated my table saw in a year. My guess is that the Boeshield protects the steel, and the wax keeps the Boeshield from being rubbed off.
David
remove the key to email me.
J Pagona aka Y.B. wrote:

I can see where it could though. I've actually planed hard enough to melt the wax on the cheeks, though I don't think the bottom. My shooting board has a big waxy streak across it.
My bet it that as long as you can keep the shellac slick, for ease of use, it should work. Got a nice coat of overspray on a rarely used spare drill press table top a couple of months back and just left it ... no ill effects and no rust thus far.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

One thought regarding the shellac, doesn't shellac melt at body temperature? If one were to lean on a tool, for example, leaning on the table saw with one hand while making adjustments or reaching down for to retrieve a dropped arbor nut (I know, professionals never drop that nut), is is possible that you could melt through the finish?
Mark & Juanita wrote:

According to a Google search the melting point of waxed shellac is somewhere between 77 C and 90 C (170 F - 194 F). The melting point for dewaxed shellac would be higher.
Jack Novak responds:

So, basically, it seems if you're warm enough to melt shellac, you're also warm enough that it doesn't make a bit of difference to you.
Charlie Self
"Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them." H. L. Mencken
Jack Novak responds:

Does shellac melt like ice or like butter? I.e. does it soften significantly at body temperature or is it quite hard until it gets near the melting point? I don't know, but I'd guess that if it's soft at body temp, it could still be a problem.
Mike
says...

Interesting, that raises another question, if the melting point of shellac is so high, how do candies and medications that are coated with shellac ever get digested?
IIRC, mechanical action and enzymes in the digestive system can dissolve a nail, so a shellac coated pill should be a comparative piece of cake ... literally.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

duh. Good point. Crawling back into the corner now.
Used to use shellac on M&M's.
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 21:08:53 GMT, Mark & Juanita

M&M's has never used a shellac on their products. Always have used a very high quality foodgrade carnauba wax.
"Lawrence A. Ramsey" wrote:

-- I AM NOT PARANOID .. .. .. but EVERYONE thinks I am !! !! !!
<<<__ Bob __>>>
Bob- just repeating what I read in a book on finishing. Doesn't matter to me. They taste just as good now as they did in 1953!
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 21:41:51 GMT, "<<<___ Bob ___>>>"

Ads for candies that "melt in your mouth" notwithstanding, digestion has little to do with melting. The human digestive tract subjects food to a sequence of acids and enzymes which break it down by chemical means.

impeccable
clear
My 20"

when I

Has anyone considered powder coating?
Back to lurking. C

Ya know - at the price of a can of TopSheildCoatUrBoats or whatever it's called, you could'a moved to Denver. So damned dry here, you cry everytime you blow your nose in the winter. [The upside is the static shocks you can impart on an unsuspecting loved one, will keep you entertained for hours.]