Toilet Seat Finish

I have a good oak toilet seat with a broken hinge. I have decided to just replace the hinge, which is about 1/4 cost of a new seat.
I guess I'll refinish it, too with a good sanding and stain. What's a good finish for a toilet seat, especially for a home with 2 boys in diapers who soon be learning the art of aiming...
Is satin poly ok? Is it non-toxic to the skin once it dries?

good
It's what I would use. It's non toxic once it dries. SH
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:19:34 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"

Poly, either satin or gloss is about the only finish I would recommend for a toilet seat. Nothing else will handle the environment gracefully. I think a lot of the commercial finishes are some sort of lacquer, but they always seem to peel after a year or so.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

I'd suggest full-gloss, rather than satin. Simply because it is _harder_, and more durable. the lower-lustre finishes are made by adding wax to the gloss finish; which also makes them physically softer.
Wouldn't that be better for a toilet seat? Softer, I mean.
I taught my boys to raise the seat.
Time to make untippable stools.
wrote:

just
good
who
I'd guess that a harder finish might stand up better (no pun intended) to cleaners and such that would be used on a toilet & seat.. (scrubbing bubbles, lysol, etc...)