Tip of the Day

Page 1 of 2
When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the clockwise direction for faster feed.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

It clears chips better, too. I think.

Why are you in such a hurry? :)
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

    bongo boy,     jo4hn
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Heh!
When screwing in screws poke the screw through a piece of cardboard as a holding point till it bites with the wood,then remove cardboard and finish screwing.
No dirty remarks please. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Drill? You mean the bits are supposed to rotate?! No wonder I was going through bits so quickly with the hammer. Damn things should come with instructions (not that I'd read them).
Edwin Pawlowski (in SYr_g.16812$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com) said:
| When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in | the clockwise direction for faster feed.
Also: If you turn the drill bit so that the smooth end is in the chuck, it all works more better - and there's a lot less smoke.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

isn't that cheating?

You should also have the screwdriver bit turning clockwise when installing the screws :)
My den/office has an "L" shaped counter along 2 walls - about 23' of counter from Steelcase cubicles - the company kept moving people around and finally needed the office they were using for spare parts storage and the installer gave me a chance to take what I wanted (including keyboard trays and drawers) before the rest went into the dumpster. Anyway, when I installed the counter, I had to join some peices with metal plates on the bottom - worked great until the last joint, then the d*** screws wouldn't even get started into the pilot holes - it took me 10 minutes to figure out what was wrong :)
Sooner or later we all have that problem.
Reminded me of this one: This fellow is looking to buy a saw to cut down some trees in his back yard. He goes to a chainsaw shop and asks about various chainsaws. The dealer tells him, "Look, I have a lot of models, but why don't you save yourself a lot of time and aggrevation and get the top-of-the-line model. This chainsaw will cut a hundred cords of wood for you in one day."
So the man takes the chainsaw home and begins working on the trees. After cutting for several hours and only cutting two cords, he decides to quit. He thinks there is something wrong with the chainsaw. "How can I cut for hours and only cut two cords?", the man asks himself. "I will begin first thing in the morning and cut all day", the man tells himself.
So, the next morning the man gets up at 4 in the morning and cuts, and cuts, and cuts till nightfall, and he only manages to cut five cords.
The man is convinced this is a bad saw. "The dealer told me it would cut one hundred cords of wood in a day, no problem. I will take this saw back to the dealer", the man says to himself.
The very next day the man brings the saw back to the dealer and explains the problem. The dealer, baffled by the man's claim, removes the chainsaw from the case. The dealer says, "Huh, it looks fine." Then the dealer starts the chainsaw, to which the man responds,
"What's that noise?"

hemisphere.
B.
Sat, Oct 21, 2006, 4:32pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (EdwinPawlowski) doth claimeth: When drilling pilot holes for screws, have the drill bit turning in the clockwise direction for faster feed.
Well, that's half right. If you have to drill holes on the other side, they will have to be counter-clockwise. Not sure but Ithink it's just the opposite in Oz.

And make sure the pointy end is down.

When using a dado stack, put the chippers on with teeth facing the front for cleaner cuts.
JP

forward, but were upside down. While coiling it for storage, I somehow turned it inside out. Fortunately, I caught it before turning the bandsaw on. :-)
Jay Pique wrote:

You sure about that?
Installing a chop-saw blade backwards (don't try that if it has carbide teeth) will give you smmoother cuts in plastic pipe.
I suspect that installing the chippers backwards may give you very smooth, dark and shiny dados--until the wood caches fire.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote in
*snip*

You're obviously taking too big of bite. Don't cut so deep... ;-)
Puckdropper

Roy Underhill jokes that rotating a brace and bit counter-clockwise will add wood rather than remove it.
He also claims that there are only 27 woodworking jokes and that's one of them. I only know two more.
I think it was snipped-for-privacy@aol.com who stated:

Here's another woodworking joke:
"That woodworker is not the best, who makes more dust than all the rest."
Oh. My mistake; it's not a joke, it's an old saw.
-- Pooder approved this post . . . .