Tip - drilling tiny holes

Problem -- need to drill a 1mm dia pilot hole in a uPVC frame for net curtain hook when you only have a 1.05kW SDS drill to hand. The drill bit is not gripped by the conventional chuck when fully closed, indeed it probably wouldn't grip anything less than 2-3mm diameter.

Solution -- take about 6" of sellotape with carefully cut square ends and very neatly wrap it around the shank of the bit, making a 5mm diameter shank. I was surprised just how well this worked; the sellotape forms a solid shank for the chuck to grip on, and it seems to be very tough as the chuck didn't dent or deform it (may depend on brand of tape). Might want to be careful to wrap the tape such that the rotation direction causes any slippage to grip tighter, but actually I doubt that would make much difference. Obviously won't work if the bit is going to get hot whilst drilling.

Of course, you have to carefully support a large drill whilst drilling, as there's no way a 1mm bit will take half the weight of the drill without snapping.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

just a thought: heat 1mm drill or a pin held in pliers and melt a small dia hole.

mark b

Reply to
mark b

While I salute your ingenuity, I really have to recommend a pin chuck, e.g. RS 600-745 - extremely useful.

-- Grunff

Reply to
Grunff

For that sized drill into uPVC small mark with something sharp and rotate the drill in ones fingers will work, the plastic is very soft. I may even have just used a fine taper bradal to make a suitable start for the curtain hook, a larger drill bit hand held to take of the inevitable burr.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I normally use copper wire, wrapped in a close spiral around the drill shank, to increase the diameter of a small drill. However, for something as large as 1mm, I would use a pin chuck.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Not sure what a pin chuck is, but I've used a small tap wrench to good effect before. Can be used for larger holes (6mm) through timber where drill access is limited.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Warm up a panel pin or similar & push it through.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I was surprised you got it to work, but I guess the torque needed to turn a 1mm bit is tiny.

Sellotape works well on motor drive shafts, when you need to speed something up, as long as its wound the right direction.

The classic recommended technique is to wrap wire round the small bit shank, tape must be quicker though.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I didn't try that, but the uPVC was surprisingly tough. I tried a bradawl(sp?) first, and it barely made a mark. There might have been some metal box section in the PVC, as it is a bay window, although I didn't see any metal swarf come out with the drill bit.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'd just have used a bradawl. Old tech sometimes is better. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think you did well (or were lucky ;-) ) to drill a hole with a 1mm drill held in a chuck in an SDS drill with all the wobble that gives, to drill a hole without breaking the bit!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Get yourself a half decent drill

's (just below 72mm) an Atlas Copco (AEG) SDS with the adjustable chuck fitted to it and a 1mm drill straight through 1/4" UPVC sheet. It's also set to the higher speed.

No fuss, you just put the bit in the hole and let the drill do its thing. No faffing about with string and sealing wax, or buying tools from Argos.

Reply to
Andy Dingley
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman [email Wrote:

because they had to write it first then work out what it meant :-))

sorr

-- newboy

Reply to
newboy