This Years Boy Scout Auction Items

Page 2 of 2

hen you are Doomed ...

John
I'm sorry more money was not generated for BSA. Your idea of selling at the A & C fair sounds like a very good idea (of a way of finding already-informed shoppers)! IMHO, the mass-media/marketing in this country puts hand-made items at a relative disadvantage in the competition for the consumers dollar--probably best to stay out of the "fast lane".
Bill
Tom Watson wrote:

Beautiful! All items cheap at three times the price!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Congratulations from me too. (Turning green).
--
Best regards
Han

That is great work. It is times like this I wish I had talent.
I have never seen a chessboard style like that - really cool.
Larry C

Very nice, Tom. Your rep remains intact.
Thanks for the kind words.
The box was in the live auction. The chess board was in the silent auction. There was a minimum on both but the box was set too low. I agree that many people do not understand that it is a fund raiser first and that you get to take something home is a secondary consideration. Also agree that many people do not understand the value of hand made items. It's because we grow up surrounded by items whose manufacturing cost is exceeded by the marketing and advertising cost. Regardless of what we'd like to believe - excellence does not sell itself but I wish the cost of selling was more in balance with the cost of producing.
The chess board was one prototype for a run of several different designs that I'll be making after the first of the year. I expect to spend a great deal of time selling them and as little time possible in making them...sigh.
Regards,

Tom,
Interesting that you donated prototypes... I did too. ;~) It's not that the items were inferior in any way but rather that I was working out design and production issues that would speed up production of future items. In the long run I'm going to use pattern cutting on the bandsaw and shaper to make the items but getting the design into a machine friendly format takes prototypes... There is no room for hand tool tweaking in items that might "retail" for $40-50... unless one is doing this as a weight loss and fitness program, i.e., starvation combined with physical exertion. ;~)
John
Tom Watson wrote:

Beautiful wood and work - The box is clean and simple enough to highlight the handles and hinges (I especially like the hinges!)
I agree with your comments downthread, and will offer that this has been a difficult year for fundraisers just about everywhere, and that for many it's probably easier to find a "show-off" spot in home or office for a chess board than for the larger box...
...and these are definitely "show-off" pieces! :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote: ...

OTOH, we had second-best auction year yet and at least one Foundation (albeit four-year as opposed to two) has effectively seized upon and used the needs generated to raise immediate funds to make up for available funds that normally would be expected from endowment earnings to beat their previous campaign successes by wide margins.

Thanks Morris. We were happy to have made as much as we did. And I got to do a little market research on the chessboard price resistance level.
Regards,
Nice job and a very good cause. Bet it makes you feel good too.
I have donated a couple of hardwood rocking sources for our church's fall bazaar raffle and its pretty neat.
RonB
You're a very generous man, Tom and a good father.. Your children will remember you for that.. Beautiful work.. Now did you leave room for expansion on the chess board panel.. Kidding.. I'm sure you did.. Many probably wouldn't.. -Jim

Then again maybe those are just veneer squares attached to ply or mdf base.. How did you put those squares together, if you don't mind me asking? Glue a row of blocks, cut thin and reverse each row? A bit of a gluing challenge to get them to fit so perfectly together..

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:35:45 -0800, "Jim Hall"

Thanks for the kind words in the other post.
The squares are solid stock about 7/8" thick. I glue up the strips one block length (2 1/2") longer plus kerf (1") plus trimming space (1/2") so that I don't have to flip them over. This gives a better look, in my opinion, if the grain and color match has been nicely done.
I used a couple of biscuits in this prototype to help with alignment and to help with the joints but the production run will use a glue line joint profile made on the shaper - riding close to the bottom so that it isn't seen where the squares stand proud of the frame.
The expansion and maintaining planarity are handled via interlocking tongue and groove joints. The field of squares has a groove set 5/16" from the top face and deep enough to allow for wood movement. This groove wraps around the tongue that is formed in the top frame by making a similar groove on the inside edge of the frame as in this simplified drawing:
http://picasaweb.google.com/tjwatson11/ChessboardJoint#5410734467525258114
I put a dab of glue on the centerline of the endgrain edge and rely on the snugness of the joint to hold the field of squares planar.
This is an experiment. Time will tell.
Regards,
Wow, Tom.. great design..
Have you ever used those "spaceballs". I know several people who do and like them. They claim it makes centering the panel easy and prevents future panel rattle. I'm going to try some on my next frame and panel project.. Seems like they would be useful on your chessboard too.. Don't know.. just a thought.. Maybe it would put too much pressure on the miter joints. - Jim
http://www.spaceballs.com/faq.html
http://www.blackbridgeonline.com/usamore.htm