This Old Kitchen - Remodel Part 1 - Sausage Making

AKA, what some folks won't do just to get another kitchen job. Thought some might be interested in seeing the dreaded underbelly of a full monte kitchen remodel.

(usually I have to build the house to do the kitchen, not tear it down)

Onward through the fog/dust ...

Reply to
Swingman

Thumbs up on the dust control. I made my own "ZipWall' style units by using those telescopic 'load securing' clamps (used in trucks). The adhesive zippers for the walls are available on-line from the nice people at ZipWall. As you might well imagine, dust has been a monkey on my back for a long time, at least prior to Festool/Fein dust management devices. It really, truly is the only way to do a renovation and that is to go "to the studs". You will be keeping us abreast to the rest of this, eh? Thanks for posting.

Reply to
Robatoy

Zipwall's zippers are around 8 bucks a pop. Try these at a little bit over $2/each.

RicodJour

Have you used both? Same? Different?

Reply to
Robatoy

$2/each.http://cgi.ebay.com/24-CinchTite-TARP-ZIPPER-7-ft-Peel-N-Stick-NEW-BO...> Have you used both? Same? Different?

Lee Valley also sells peel and stick zippers that one could use with most any type of drop sheets which might be quite a bit cheaper to buy.

Upscale

I haven't tried the "new and improved" heavy duty Zipwall zippers because I've got half a case of the other, and I probably never will since they're so much more expensive. The Cinchtite ones work fine - no issues at all, except you don't get that nifty little Zipwall plastic cutter for opening up the plastic after the zipper is applied. Usual caveat about applying them in low temperatures. I also use them to rig up job site weather protection, and had some difficulty getting them to stick to cold plastic tarps. Most always they're an inside item, so that's not really a concern.

I give them out to guys that would use them - painters, demo and drywall guys. You give them a couple and it's like buying them lunch, only cheaper. :)

RicodJour

them direct on Amazon:

specs for the denier, same length, looks the same. It's a duck. eBay just has the best deal on them if you use them in any quantity.

RicodJour

$2/each.http://cgi.ebay.com/24-CinchTite-TARP-ZIPPER-7-ft-Peel-N-Stick-NEW-BO...>>>> R

I nixed zipwalls because a family member is only ambulatory with a walker and pulling oxygen cart ... this area splits the house in two, with constant traffic back and forth through a long hallway ... MIL, using walker, in one end, family quarters in other, and neither wanted to deal with them.

I used a double flap system on their most used access point, like we do on lead abatement renovations, to make it easier to get the walker through.

Reply to
Swingman

RE: Subject

AKA: HOH, Houston Div

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Definitely a bigarse job, innit?

Aren't facelifts fun? Sometimes it takes more time and costs more money to refit than to build new. I can't believe how much people will spend on a kichen job. I really can't.

What? No Festering shop vac on premises? Shame, shame, boys.

-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, zipperwalls are great. I used the telescoping clamp on my back porch cover just last week. They're suprisingly strong. Mine are HF, of course. $13 a pop vs Zipwall's $40. (slightly shorter @ 114")

in an emergency, dial 1911.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have been in so many kitchens, I have lost count. As a result, I have seen both ends of the scale. I have seen stellar executions for under $10K and complete rubbish for $80K. One kitchen cost the guy $220.000 and I actually thought it was brilliant. He spent a lot of money on restaurant grade equipment and the finest of all granites and lots of it. It turned out beautiful, in a Bentley sort of way. It was also very big, I'm guessing 30 x 40 ft. Then, a few months ago, I was in a kitchen where the people spent $40K on cabinets and it was absolutely disgusting. They could not have squeezed more 'ornate bullshit flourishes' in, if they tried. Mouldings on top of mouldings and all sprayed with that coloured lacquer crap. Awful. Tasty doesn't need to cost a lot, if the money is spent wisely.

Reply to
Robatoy

It's a reality that the margin in kitchen builds/remodels is a lot more lucrative than most construction projects.

This particular kitchen has a "designer" who is much in demand, and despite that, and while I don't particularly care for a lot of the details, I think it is going to come out just fine.

As with many designers, this one is wont to draw things that can't be reasonably built. I ended up modeling the kitchen for the client and many of the changes, from a practical aspect, were the result of that modeling. Basically I was handed bare bones elevation sketches and the implementation has been left up to me ... good thing I like a challenge, but I do think the practicality of the kitchen's usage will benefit from that mix of participation.

Besides, they're never _my_ kitchens ... something I try to keep foremost in mind.

Besides, I can't afford one of mine ...

Reply to
Swingman

On Feb 13, 4:49=A0pm, Swingman wrote: .

I know what that's about.

Reply to
Robatoy

Some people's taste is all in their mouth. I'm sure glad I don't have to live with some of the things I've built for folks. Configurations, textures, paint color combos, etc.

Yeah, you guys made Mr. Festering rich instead.