This is so cool! A 'safety' table saw that detects your finger.

Page 7 of 10

Strange how much you missed the point of my message. The point is that accidents can happen no matter how safely you conduct yourself, in any venue. I'm not going to google the subject, but I wonder how many thousands of people in the US alone have missing fingers solely due to tablesaws.
On 3/2/2006 6:37 PM Upscale mumbled something about the following:

Personally, I think seatbelts should be removed, and the driver's seat be placed in front of the front bumper of the car and a spike placed in the center of the steering wheel. Might get drivers to actually pay attention to what they are doing instead of pretending they are driving in the Daytona 500.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

There is a thought and while some what absurd, absolutely not as absurd as the people you are talking about.
On 3/2/2006 10:38 PM Leon mumbled something about the following:

As a motorcycle rider who rides 40 miles each way, to/from work, there isn't a day that goes by that some idiot in a cage doesn't try to take me out, either by changing lanes into me, pulling out of a side road as I'm approaching, turning across the road in front of me, etc. 90% of the drivers on the road are busy doing something else, reading, dialing their cellphone, putting on makeup, plucking their eyebrows, shaving, etc, while driving 2 ft off the bumper of the car in front of them. A good majority of the accidents around here are someone rear-ending another car, and I usually hear of about 5 or 6 every morning on the radio. The biggest offenders, SUV drivers. They think they're invulnerable and are the most likely to rearend someone (at least by my observations).
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???
Odinn said:

Add another metro resident to your list of 'those who vehemently agree with _all_ the above observations'.
Sounds like you experienced a heart-racing near miss today...
I used to ride, but after being the victim of 5 bone wrenching, high speed rear-enders (in cars, fortunately), I gave up on the thought. State Highway 41 was the location of 3 of them. I was forced to conclude that bikes are a mode of transportation best reserved for those who life a better life than I - and the track. :-\
FWIW,
Greg G.

I had 2 Japanese bikes and a Harley. I had less problems with the Harley I greatly suspect because it was louder. I have had people bump into me while setting at a stop light. Living in Houston I finally gave up riding. Highway riding was the only safe riding.

while
That would/does drive me nuts. I've never driven a motorbike, but I've had people repeatedly bump into me in my wheelchair. I'd guess riders on a bike would feel much the same as I feel in a wheelchair, it's an extension of me. Someone carelessly touching it is equivalent to someone touching me without my permission. I've had people bump me twice, but never a third time because I usually turn around with a snarl to chew the perpetrator out.
wrote in message

You gotta wonder what they are thinking. If they are thinking at all. Lost in their own little worlds.

Brings to mind a television show that's been playing on the discovery channel, called Canada's Worst Driver. Some of these people are *so* bad at driving that I think the testing agent at the driving centre who passed them, should be strung up by their short hairs. http://www.discoverychannel.ca/worstdriver /
On 3/3/2006 4:07 AM Upscale mumbled something about the following:

You should come to Hotlanta, Jawja and have a go round with the idiots we have here. I'm pretty sure that 99% of them got their drivers license out of a Cracker Jacks box.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

I'm not, and I've always said that I don't think it's a bad idea, certainly it isn't. I just said that for most people, I think it's an unnecessary idea. If someone has X amount of money to spend on a tablesaw, is it better to get the Sawstop and have an inferior saw, or should you spend your money to get a much better quality saw? I vote for the better saw. It seems to me that the Sawstop is designed for people with a little more dollars than sense and yes, I strongly oppose their trying to force their technology on the rest of us.

So uh, what report have you read that has indicated that the SawStop is inferior? Which saw in particular tests out better than the SawStop that does not cost more than the SawStop? Keeping in mind that there have been a limited few false positives that were resolved on the SawStop, and keeping in mind that Unisons some times have broken trunions that Delta eventually admitted was a manufacturing problem and not a shipping problem, and keeping in mind that some Jet saws had rip fence bar rules that were not accurate. Some Generals have a blade clearance problem, uh, Grizzly is much better but once had a lot of shipping problems that ultimately became a customer problem that he had to resolve. Or should I ask, which brand has not problems at all???

I'd say 99.99% of the accidents were from carelessness. Personally I know of no one that is 100% careful and not careless at some time until they die. It only has to happen once at the right time. Again, I ask, have you ever cut yourself with a knife?
It's up to people to be careful and know when a

That has a little to do with it but I cut half my thumb off after the cut, after walking away from the saw to lay the board down, and after turning the saw off. You really don't know of all the possibilities nor can you be prepared for them 100% of the time. In my case, the SawStop would have prevented my injury.

Well hopefully you will never need to test your opinion.
On the other side, having something like that

Like putting a LOADED gun up to your head and pulling the trigger because you know the safety is on. Like crashing your vehicle into a concrete wall because you know that it has air bags. I really do not think that some one would be careless around a blade spinning at 3500 rpm. The visual would be enough to scare you.

No, a splitter can help prevent a kick back but is absolutely no guarantee. If the splitter prevents a kick back and you realize it, its a good chance that you made a mistake. Still the riving knife is far superior to the splitter. It does not have to be removed for many cuts that would require the removal of the splitter. While the riving knife is no guarantee against kick back either, it can be used in more instances than a standard splitter and it typically works better because of its proximity to the blade.

Not hard to do at all. But every one on this group, actually everyone is capable of making a mistake at any time.
How much do you want to bet that most of

Do you use a standard blade guard when cutting dado's?
Good luck Brian and don't take this the wrong way but you seem to be a little naive as to how many different ways an accident can happen given the numerous operations that can be performed on a TS. While it is totally your decision and opinion that you are personally careful enough to deem the Saw Stop not worth the money you have pointed out to me more than a couple of instances where you are absolutely wrong. Again, be careful.
On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 00:21:07 GMT, "Leon"

Sure, but I don't go out and buy safety knives that go dull when touched with human skin. You live and learn lessons.

A tablesaw is a dangerous piece of equipment. Always has been, always will be. That's not to say that a Sawstop might not be a helpful addition, if you choose to use it, but it's also an expensive addition that really isn't worth the cost IMO. As you say, most accidents are from carelessness, people need to take some personal responsibility for their own safety and security.
And cars are so safe now that people aren't paying attention to how they drive and that causes accidents.

So? I certainly don't see the nanny-state needing to mandate that *I* have to pay extra for my equipment because someone else is being careless.

Absolutely. Of course, I retrofit my saw with an overhead guard so I can use it for virtually any cut and I have a removeable splitter for exactly these instances. But then again, we both agree that the failure to use proper and reasonable care is key in most accidents. I use care. Do you?

Did yo know how to properly handle a knife when you cut your self? Does a knife that goes dull exist?
>You live and learn lessons.
My point exactly.

Exactly. For many people, going the extra step of spending a a lottle more money on the SawStop will be taking an extra step towards their own safety and security.

Do you really be lieve that cars are so safe now that people aren't paying attention to how they drive? Not paying attention to how one drives has ALWAYS been a problem. The safety of the car has absolutely nothing to do with not paying attention.

What about the nanny-state that mandates the airbags in your car, that requires you to carry insurance on your car. Simply a different piece of equipment. Because some of my more expensive automobiles have more air bags than my less expensive cars my insurance is cheaper proportionally on those more expensive vehicles. If every one had a protection device that prevented hospital visits perhaps my medical insurance would also be cheaper, ultimately helping the saw to pay for itself.

Um the overhead guard, is not a standard guard. You paid extra for that.
But then again, we both agree that the

Agreed, and I yes I do use care and have been fortunate enough in the last 16 years that that has been enough.

You don't have passengers on your table saw, nor do you run your saw into other people operating other saws.
The analogy simply doesn't hold, Leon.
--
Talking about art is like dancing about architecture - Frank Zappa

Leon.... buddy.... let it go.
I learned a long time ago that people will do as they will. If the technology is available to make woodworking or anything else we have in our lives safer for me and you, then we will probably use it when we find we need to or when we can make sense of the timing, dollars, and need.
I intend to take woodworking into retirement. However, I am no so stupid as to believe that in my 70s I will be as mentally sharp or physically capable as I am now. I would like that additional safety of knowing that if I have a senior moment, or a twinge in a joint at an inopportune time I won't lose a digit to one of my tools. I know you feel the same way.
Other impairments are on me now, though. I get too tired meeting deadlines, try to do too many things at once, and take for granted what I am doing sometimes and don't pay close enough attention. I understand what the intellectuals of the group collective are saying, too... no such thing as an accident... all "accidents are preventable"... if you can't do any better than that perhaps you shouldn't be using tools... etc. Heard it all before. Truly, in a perfect textbook world, they are correct.
However, in my world reality raises its ugly head on occasion. Shit happens. My fault, your fault, nobody's fault, it happens. But no matter where the fault lies, I am pissed off when the results fall on me. So a little cushion sounds really good to me.
I don't care about the SawStop conspiracy or the attempt on their part to change the course of my life. We can see how far that got. So now we are where we should be, if you want the technology, buy it. If you don't, don't do it.
I have many years of watching people follow poor safety protocols, or none at all. They take off safety devices, blade guards, don't wear safety glasses, don't wear respiratory protection, use broken ladders, and do just plain stupid stuff. When they are hurt seriously for the first time, it helps them understand the importance of safety and safety devices. Until that time, they are bold mofos, loudly ready to risk life and limb on prinicpal alone, standing the high ground on the basis of their uninjured selves as examples.
Bully for them, I say. The Darwin awards are always looking for new candidates. I don't care about the folks that don't want any safety equipment or devices one way or another. Similarly, I don't care if they are hurt when they disarm/remove/ignore the things that would make their tool usage more safe under a larger variety of conditions.
Let 'em rip, Leon. (No pun intened...) You won't make or win your point.
Robert
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 00:02:39 GMT, "Leon"

I don't know, if there was any money in it, I'm sure someone would come up with it. I don't think anyone is going to be paying $100 for a steak knife that does it though. Profit drives innovation.

Which is fine, that's up to them. But Sawstop wants to force EVERYONE to use their technology whether they want it or not.

Nope, I didn't pay any extra for it, I built it myself with stuff I already had around the shop. ;)

So uh your shop is like mine. Stuff magically appears. :~) and in my case disappears?

Kinda reminds me of the logic my son used to use when as a young teen he objected to wearing a helmet and wrist guards while rollerblading "because I'm not doing tricks, so don't plan to fall". And like the thousands of woodworkers who haven't yet been hurt at their saws, he has never been injured in a rollerblading accident