the router workshop show any good? - Page 2

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
Page 2 of 2   «first < 1
2
Re: the router workshop show any good?

Then you must know for sure what it is and that it can be removed.  Details
please?

Re: the router workshop show any good?

When is it on?

Re: the router workshop show any good?
The DIY channel.

Re: the router workshop show any good?
On PBS, the national feed, Saturday.  Also on PBSU, opposite Ol' Roy, like
anyone'd watch then.

Re: the router workshop show any good?
Yes, I watch it.  Contrary to what everyone else is saying about it,
I like the show.  I find it pretty informative. Sure there are
repitions of cuts and all, but they usually explain what bit they are
using, and why they do it a certain way.  They are not pushing the
use of the latest and greatest, can't live without it, full featured
tool. They are not pushing their video and measured drawring for 25
bux a pop on how to build a sawhorse, etc.

Sure, there are other tools that will work better than the router for
different operations, but I think that what the Rosenthalls are
trying to show is that several things can be done with just a router.
I think what they are trying to show is that to folks having a normal
budget, not an unlimited one such as Norm seems to have, a router
might be a very utilitarian tool to have.  It can do the job of
several high priced tools, so don't think that you can't make good
looking projects just because you don't own the latest gizmo that is
on the market.

There have been shows in the recent past that actually show a chop
saw and even a table saw in their workshop. Yes, I would like to see
how they make some of their jigs and patterns, but to me, that is a
minor thing.  I just enjoy watching them.  They sure are easier to
watch than 'Handyma'am' and 'Bruce Johnson', or Jay what's his name
in Ultimate workshop.

I guess it is "To each, his own" when it comes to woodworking shows.
They must all be good to different audiences.  I watch Norm, David,
the Rosenthalls, Roy and used to watch Scott Philips and John
Shiloats, both who are not available here in my area anymore.  I get
useful info from all of them.

Make more sawdust, watch the shows you like and don't watch the ones
you don't like.

WoodworkerDan
Dan Harriman
Orange, Texas

Re: the router workshop show any good?
I second your opinion Dan. I enjoy watching them and all the others you
mentioned a lot.

Re: the router workshop show any good?
Think that's why they call it The ROUTER Workshop?

Re: the router workshop show any good?
Sat, Nov 13, 2004, 10:50am (EST+5) ah10201@aol.com (Ah10201) asks:
am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS? any comments
on whether you guys like it?

     I'm not sure if it's on it my area or not, never caught it if it
is.  But, as long as it doesn't have Bob V. on it, can't be too bad.

JOAT
Any plan is bad which is incapable of modification.
- Publilius Syrus

Re: the router workshop show any good?

I would like to hear you opinion again after you see 2 shows.  LOL  It is
like Chinese water torture.  The same thing over and over and over.

Re: the router workshop show any good?
3155.bay.webtv.net:

Yes, it can be, and often is.

Watching raw linseed oil cure is more interesting, and often more
informative.

Patriarch

Re: the router workshop show any good?
Rather than the same cuts over & over, it would be more interesting (IMHO) to
see how the jigs were made.

Big John

Take out the TRASH for E-mail.

Re: the router workshop show any good?
The one thing I really didn't like about the show was that they went too
fast.  I don't mean that they rushed any one step, but they strung them
together end to end so I was left breathless.  Maybe they have the kind of
experience they need to work like machines, but I need to stop and think
before doing the next step, and I like to savour the step I just completed.
My feeling was, "I'm only watching TV.  What's the rush?"

I also echo someone else's remark that they do everything with the router,
when there are other tools that would work just fine (or better).  The
router is such a great tool you don't need to do a sales job on it to
convince me to use it.

I stopped watching the show after we got cable.  Weird.  Our cable company
doesn't carry that station, but I could pull it through the antenna just
fine.  I'd probably still watch it if I could, but only sporadically.

  - Owen -

Re: the router workshop show any good?
Hi Owen,

Some magazine's carry their advertisement to sell their router table,
jigs, collars etc.     Early on their shows were good for technique,
but after a while it seemed like you needed to own every collar,
bushing, jig etc to do any of their projects.  I haven't seen their
show in a while.  Maybe it's changed.

Regardless, I agree there are better tools available for certain
aspects of their projects.    Router's are not saws and vice versa.

Pat

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 20:21:18 -0500, "Owen Lawrence"

Re: the router workshop show any good?
I haven't seen the show in a long time.  Does the father still
have that knobbly thing on the top of his head?

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl3552919149d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&selm=R6Uq5.870%24dE.26385%40nnrp3.sbc.net

--

FF

Re: the router workshop show any good?
I've watched it.  Lot's of good advice but the projects they build IMHO are
mostly ugly.  I have one word for the dad....CAP. That thing is distracting.
You catch yourself watching it instead of the project.

Tom
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl3552919149d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&selm=R6Uq5.870%24dE.26385%40nnrp3.sbc.net
---
Threaded View