the router workshop show any good?

Page 2 of 2

Then you must know for sure what it is and that it can be removed. Details please?

When is it on?
The DIY channel.

On PBS, the national feed, Saturday. Also on PBSU, opposite Ol' Roy, like anyone'd watch then.

Yes, I watch it. Contrary to what everyone else is saying about it, I like the show. I find it pretty informative. Sure there are repitions of cuts and all, but they usually explain what bit they are using, and why they do it a certain way. They are not pushing the use of the latest and greatest, can't live without it, full featured tool. They are not pushing their video and measured drawring for 25 bux a pop on how to build a sawhorse, etc.
Sure, there are other tools that will work better than the router for different operations, but I think that what the Rosenthalls are trying to show is that several things can be done with just a router. I think what they are trying to show is that to folks having a normal budget, not an unlimited one such as Norm seems to have, a router might be a very utilitarian tool to have. It can do the job of several high priced tools, so don't think that you can't make good looking projects just because you don't own the latest gizmo that is on the market.
There have been shows in the recent past that actually show a chop saw and even a table saw in their workshop. Yes, I would like to see how they make some of their jigs and patterns, but to me, that is a minor thing. I just enjoy watching them. They sure are easier to watch than 'Handyma'am' and 'Bruce Johnson', or Jay what's his name in Ultimate workshop.
I guess it is "To each, his own" when it comes to woodworking shows. They must all be good to different audiences. I watch Norm, David, the Rosenthalls, Roy and used to watch Scott Philips and John Shiloats, both who are not available here in my area anymore. I get useful info from all of them.
Make more sawdust, watch the shows you like and don't watch the ones you don't like.
WoodworkerDan Dan Harriman Orange, Texas
I second your opinion Dan. I enjoy watching them and all the others you mentioned a lot.

Think that's why they call it The ROUTER Workshop?

Sat, Nov 13, 2004, 10:50am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Ah10201) asks: am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS? any comments on whether you guys like it?
I'm not sure if it's on it my area or not, never caught it if it is. But, as long as it doesn't have Bob V. on it, can't be too bad.
JOAT Any plan is bad which is incapable of modification. - Publilius Syrus
(Ah10201) asks:

I would like to hear you opinion again after you see 2 shows. LOL It is like Chinese water torture. The same thing over and over and over.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in (Ah10201) asks:

Yes, it can be, and often is.
Watching raw linseed oil cure is more interesting, and often more informative.
Patriarch

Rather than the same cuts over & over, it would be more interesting (IMHO) to see how the jigs were made.
Big John
Take out the TRASH for E-mail.

The one thing I really didn't like about the show was that they went too fast. I don't mean that they rushed any one step, but they strung them together end to end so I was left breathless. Maybe they have the kind of experience they need to work like machines, but I need to stop and think before doing the next step, and I like to savour the step I just completed. My feeling was, "I'm only watching TV. What's the rush?"
I also echo someone else's remark that they do everything with the router, when there are other tools that would work just fine (or better). The router is such a great tool you don't need to do a sales job on it to convince me to use it.
I stopped watching the show after we got cable. Weird. Our cable company doesn't carry that station, but I could pull it through the antenna just fine. I'd probably still watch it if I could, but only sporadically.
- Owen -
Hi Owen,
Some magazine's carry their advertisement to sell their router table, jigs, collars etc. Early on their shows were good for technique, but after a while it seemed like you needed to own every collar, bushing, jig etc to do any of their projects. I haven't seen their show in a while. Maybe it's changed.
Regardless, I agree there are better tools available for certain aspects of their projects. Router's are not saws and vice versa. Pat
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 20:21:18 -0500, "Owen Lawrence"

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Ah10201) wrote in message

I haven't seen the show in a long time. Does the father still have that knobbly thing on the top of his head?
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl3552919149d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&selm=R6Uq5.870%24dE.26385%40nnrp3.sbc.net
--

FF

I've watched it. Lot's of good advice but the projects they build IMHO are mostly ugly. I have one word for the dad....CAP. That thing is distracting. You catch yourself watching it instead of the project.
Tom