The Pointy Stick Compendium Project

I think I see your problem: You're supposed to skin the mammoth first.

Chuck Vance (Mr. Helpful)

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

I think we should split the group...

rec.woodworking.havemadeptystick rec.woodworking.havenotmadeptystick

Perhaps we can discuss moderating it at the same time...

TTFN

Reply to
Robin Lee

Do I need a dado set to make my pointy stick? Which is the best dado set for this? Should I get an 8 inch for a longer pointy stick?

Reply to
Joe C.

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:34:45 +0000, the inscrutable "Luigi Zanasi" spake:

Ah, so the pointy stick is to blame for the lack of nekkid wimmenz around today. That shows the dualistic nature of the beast. It can be used for good or evil.

Y'know, he also forgot tooth-pointysticks. (charlie, how COULD you?)

-- "Menja bé, caga fort!"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:45:49 -0600, the inscrutable Conan the Librarian spake:

Yabbut, he wanted his "heavy coat" for the chilly Winter days.

-- "Menja bé, caga fort!"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

For the sake of reduced bandwidth, might I suggest dividing the compendium in half? One volume for right handed and one for left handed pointy sticks?

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Evolution Pointy Stick:

Early years: Wood, sharpened one end. Wood, sharpened one end, sharper. Wood, laminated, sharpened one end.

Modern era: US Introduces the first steel point stick. Japanese invent lightweight, durable pointy stick. US Introduces a new composite, lighter stronger pointy stick. Makita introduces the first cordless pointy stick Milwaukee introduces the first 24V cordless pointyStick (tm) DeWalt knocks of its 27V version

UP/API The new Point Stick, weapon of choice for terrorists world wide in banned in US and Canada. US increases border security specifically to enforce AB9966. The bill bans all pointed weapons. Knitting groups organize and overthrow the government. President Hillary Clinton is impeached and leaves in disgrace.

TeamCasa

"Government sources announced today that the search for pointy sticks has ended in Iraq. Administration officials refused comment when asked how the CIA report on PSMD, which had precipitated the invasion, could be so horribly flawed."

Reply to
notme

I'm going to visit Canada from the US. Do I have to register my pointy stick at the border? Should I leave it at home so it doesn't impounded.

Does anyone have any plans for a secret compartment I can build into my car so I can smuggle my pointy stick across the border? Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

"Military officials, on condition of anonymity, revealed that although no pointy sticks were discovered, caches of material were found which are commonly used in the manufacture of pointy sticks. These materials, purchased in blunt form, can quickly be assembled into deadly weapons. Also, several underground bunkers have been discovered. Crews are still searching for residue from the pointing process. Iraq is known to have harbored several expert stick pointers from the former Soviet Union. The CIA, while denying the report, states only that they had 'Reliable and credible intelligence' that stick pointing was widespread - clearly in violation of the UN's PSMD resolution."

Reply to
gw

The definition of PSMD is so vague that the resolution could never be upheld. If you look close enough, I'd be willing to bet you could find pointy sticks in your own backyard. I think this is clearly a ploy to occupy Iraq and seize control over resources such as the falafel. Iraqi cuisine is inspired by Turkish, Iranian and even French influences - you'd have to be blind not to see this so-called conspiracy. But I digress.

We have to get the pointy sticks off our own streets before we worry about Iraq. Just the other day I saw a 9 or 10 year old boy parading around the neighbourhood with a pointy stick. Nothing good can come from a pointy stick yet we have "collectors" even protesting against the Canadian Pointy Stick Registry. I can appreciate a good pointy stick when I see one, remember that one Tom Plamann mocked up from MDF for a customer? A work of art but remember, pointy sticks are only used to hurt people.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

Dis be funny.

:-)...

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Man, I hates it when dese trolls from alt.politics.pointysticks.conspiracy crosspost here.

(hee...snork....giggle...)

:-)...

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Pointy sticks don't hurt people, people hurt people.

Reply to
Jerry Shickler

Jerry Shickler notes:

Pointy sticks don't hurt people, people hurt people.

If you outlaw pointy sticks, only outlaws will have pointy sticks.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I tried to introduce a serious woodworking topic and look where it's gone!

While there were some great suggestions, which I will try and work into The Pointy Stick Compendium Project, the diversion to politics and foreign policy is way out of line. Let's try and stay ON TOPIC folks!

In an attempt to get this thread back on topic, here's one of my recent findings, prompted by a serious respondent to my plea for assistance.

One of the subcategories of Pointy Sticks is the version designed specifically for pressing into "tablets" made of a special mix of dirts and water. These Impressing Sticks and the impressions they left in ancient "tablets" served as the inspiration for The Impressionist Movement 7,000 +/- years later.

I'm also developing a hypothesis that the paintbrush evolved from the Gnawed Pointy Stick, Gnawing predating both the Rubbed and Whittled Pointy Stick manufacturing techniques. I'm still gathering the data to support my hypothesis and hope to publish sometime early next year. If you have any photographs or block prints of very early paintbrushes which might have started out as a Gnawed Pointy Stick, PLEASE e-mail me a copy, with any support documentation/provenance you may have to confirm the age of the artifact.

Please people - try and stay on topic.

charlie b Editor The Pointy Stick Compendium Project

Reply to
charlie b

Sorry Charlie (did I just say that out loud?) but this conflicts with my own theory on Impressionism, particularly in the regard of those such as Degas, Cezanne, Renoir, Matisse, Monet, et al, who suffered, in my firm opinion from poor eyesight, and thought that they were doing Realism, thus inventing an entire school of visual artwork, based entirely on the inability to see clearly.

As proof, I offer you the thought that, were I a painter, which I am not, and were I to paint without having my glasses on, which I would not, even if I could, I would paint a faithful representation of the world as I perceived it; unclear, diaphanous, distorted, pastel, and preposterous.

I am surprised that the art critics have not taken my point.

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

psst....Joe...leave it at home. NO problem getting pointy sticks here in Kanuckistan... I'll hook you up ..

Reply to
Robatoy

Though OT, your post has lead to a new Gnawed Pointy Stick Brush / Art Movement hypothesis. Start by making a hemlock Gnawed Pointy Stick brush. Wait

30 minutes before beginning to paint. Now paint what you see. Surrealism! (Note: hemlock Gnawed Pointy Stick brush sizes should be kept to small brush sizes as making large Gnawed Pointy Stick brushes can be hazardous to your health ( see Socrates).

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

... snip of letter making me hang my head in shame, I'm guilty, forgive me!

Alright, back on topic. I'm having trouble getting my pointy stick dimensions correct. Seems I keep screwing up the fractions; would I be better off converting to metric to make better pointy sticks?

[There, is that better?]

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety Army General Richard Cody

Mark & Juanita