The guy that demos the Oldham saw blades (Was "Where's Norm's TS splitter.")

Norm takes his time and nearly always works carefully and thoughtfully. Has anybody seen that guy that demonstrates the Oldham Signature TS blades at The Woodworking Shows? He works without a splitter, fine, but he also seems to take delight in seeing how close he can come to the blade when he picks up his cutoffs, all the while talking, kidding the women, and retrieving the stick he passed around.

I dunno, but he seems to be a poster boy for "familiarity breeds contempt." I shudder every time I watch him. One of these days...

Reply to
Vince Heuring

Yeah, have you noticed the short booards that he uses also??? IIRC he also advises adjusting the fence out .005" at the back side of the blade. That works OK for short pieces but on a long rip, the waste side starts to drag against the blade. It is a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Reply to
Leon

I was more interested in the way he demonstrates Oldham's saw blade. First he sliced a piece of 5" high wood, turned it upside down to finished the cut and both pieces' show no sign of saw marks.

Reply to
WD

On Sun 21 Nov 2004 03:31:09p, "Leon" wrote in news:xO7od.31615$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

A while back I was spending an evening just browsing the Q&A section of the New Yankee website. Someone asked if they should do that.

The website answer was "The fence should always be absolutely parallel to the blade. Always."

Reply to
Dan

That is the way mine stays.

Reply to
Leon

What do you bet that a) those blades are carefully checked for true and that b) the arbor flange on his saw has been trued in place?

Alternatively, he may use a truing disk. But then again so do I...

Reply to
Jim Martin

Mine might be.

I have never used anything more than a combination square, a sharpie and one blade tooth to initially set the fence parallel to the blade, and wood to fine tune it. When the wood isn't burnt, marked, etc... I call the fence set right.

If I start to see burning or blade marks, I tweak the fence adjustment screws 1/16 turn at a time until I'm back to the result I want.

I honestly do not know if my fence is perfectly parallel or toed in either direction in relation to the blade.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I dunno what he did to the Delta's TS or the Oldham's blade. I only witnessed the slicing like a piece of cheese, I'm completely convinced.

Reply to
WD

The piece that he resawed was relative short, tight? Smooth cuts are much more easily accomplished on short pieces of wood. Not saying that he blade is not a good one but he does not demonstrate on long boards which you are likely to do.

Reply to
Leon