Thank You Lee Valley (Rob Lee and staff)

Just how far will a company go to satisfy their customers? Well, here's a tale for you.....

Way back at the start of this year, there was a great and wondrous sale of the mythical Bessey Clamps. The sale was initiated by Lee Valley and none other than Rob Lee Esq.

Down here (and I do mean DOWN here) we were feeling a little left-out and unfortunate that we didn't have the same great deal that you guys in the US and Canada had on offer (due to killer shipping costs).

On one of the Wreck's moderated sister groups in Oz, we began to make comments and the occasional "what if?" arose. It was suggested that a container should be shipped jointly by the group members, followed by the beginnings of a discussion for a bulk buy. Then Rob Lee, who is hereby granted the status of honorary Aussie, stepped in with an admission that he was under e-mail bombardment from Oz, and offered to check freight forwarders for volume prices.

With that post, Rob doomed himself and his staff to four months of hard work and an ongoing barrage of e-mails and orders from a host of long-neglected Aussie woodworkers.

(please note that the cut-off date for orders was the same as the US date)

To say that the thread got its share of attention is an understatement. To date there have been over 23,753 views and 495 posts. These resulted in a rather large order being gathered together and shipped to the other side of the earth to a destination in Sydney, to be broken down and on-forwarded to individual sites.

It has been an object lesson in willful logistics. Dozens of woodworkers joining together with a company overseas to arrange the details. People volunteering to perform distribution and other tasks. Others voluntarily increasing their payments to ensure the organizers get 'something' for their efforts.

The savings have been substantial. The effort immense. The timescale lengthy. The enjoyment - substantial.

Thanks Rob, to you and your staff for their special effort. Whenever people with like minds band together it is amazing what can be accomplished. In particular, the photos and updates were great! We all learned a lot about LV through the virtual tour and got to meet some of the staff. (special thanks to the Internet orders team).

I like tools that have a story attached to them, and these will be part of the "Great Oz Bessey Story", to be retold for a long time in Australian woodworking circles. It will, and already has, raised the bar for customer service down here.

Your staff and the Company are a credit to the industry, well done. I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did, and still are.

Groggy

Oh, and the link to the thread? Look here:

Reply to
Groggy

It's nice to hear a story like that, and see people get recognition.

And it's always nice when a company goes above and beyond the call of duty.

Always enjoy shopping at Lee Valley...

Reply to
WillR

Geez guys. As far as I could see the a large part of the clamping interest seemed to be everybody wanting to clamp their hands on big busted blondes.

Reply to
Upscale

"Groggy" told a great story about Rob Lee and LV.

I don't want to sound like a curmudgeon or anything.

But what did you expect??

Rob Lee and Lee Valley are the good guys.

Rob, you should wear a white cowboy hat so everybody else can tell. ;)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I found that to simply be an amazing story to read through. Good job to everyone that helped on the whole thing. Nice to see not only a company that reached and helped, but also the individuals that simply stood up and said 'I'll do something'. Over the past few years I have become quite cynical with regards to most of my fellow man, but stories like this give a glimmer of hope.

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

[snip of good story]>

I want to hear more about the BBBLMSs. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

"Hear"??? SEE!!! JPEGS, man, jpegs.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Have we misjudged Canada AND New Jersey? I think we all owe them an apology. LV is a perfect example of what a company can really do for their customers. Instead of having the "do as little as possible to save money" attitude, they have the ,"do as much as possible so we can make money" attitude. What a differnce, LV is! Great job, eh.

Reply to
Bob in Oregon

I don't understand why Bessey wouldn't get off their corporate asses to help out.

Reply to
Robatoy

Hi Greg -

Thanks for the gracious post. We DID have a lot of fun with entire order. All of you deserve the credit though...it was a large leap of faith on many people's part...

Just think of how difficult it is to split a restaurant bill among 10 people... let alone an international shipment of 3000 pounds, duty, freight taxes etc.

My only regret is not delivering the shipment personally... 'course, we had dozens here who wanted to do the same...:)

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

Dealing with Lee Valley is not a large leap of faith!! Ya'll do what you say. Thanks

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Great story. It helps when a company lends a hand. The fact that it was Lee Valley is no surprise - they go the extra mile and then some for their customers.

When people get together cooperatively it's pretty amazing what can be accomplished. The fact that it was a bunch of Ozzies is truly amazing - you guys are such independent folks, getting three of you to agree on anything is pretty astounding. Lots of folks scored some Karma Points on that project.

Now if there were some way to do the same thing for a bulk WoodRat order . . . A show of hands please.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Hearing stories about companies that go that extra mile for customers is great news but they need our support to stay in business. So let's support them as much as we can so they can stay in business and we can continue reading good news instead of Taiwan built crap and overseas customer support that barely speak English and are a totally waste of

45 + minutes on the phone. By the way I'm not affiliated with Lee Valley just want to support them so that the Borgs don't drive them out. That's why I never shop at Wall Mart and avoid the Home Dump unless I have no other choice.
Reply to
dteckie

Reply to
nospambob