Tape Measures for woodworking

The next time I'm at my neighbor's I'll look for your tape. That's where mine always go.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I'll go you one better to that. My favourite tape measure is finding the same tape measure I just used to take the previous measurement. ~ Eliminates subtle variations in the wood I'm marking.
JayPique wrote:

My brother gave me a Komelon 16 footer, self-locking which I like very much. It has the usual marks at 16", which I understand. It also has marks at 19+ inches which turns out to be 1/5 of 8'. Not being a carpenter I don't know why you would want to divide an 8 foot panel into fifths, unless it has something to do with roofing. Can anyone enlighten me on this?
--
Gerald Ross

Afraid of heights? Not me, I'm afraid
On 10/30/2011 8:06 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:

Coincidence, perhaps, but 19+ inches is also 0.5 meter (depending on where your + is) :) Any other marking near 39 3/8"?
It's rare, but some tapes offer dual-measure. I have an old inch/metric Stanley, although it's arranged by side.
Aero
Those are the ones (one sided measure only) we find everywhere but are slowly making their ways to the $0.99 bins.
----------- "aeroloose" wrote in message It's rare, but some tapes offer dual-measure. I have an old inch/metric Stanley, although it's arranged by side.
Aero

The VAST majority of tape measures sold in Canada over the last 20+ years are dual scale. Which is why I said the Acuratape was "rare" in Canada, being inch only.
After buying a few and actually using them I avoid the dual scales like the plague. They become one sided usage tapes and are a PITA.
Same with straight inches type tapes. Measure 5' 4" and then use the other tape at the saw to cut 54". Had to throw a few out that didn't have feet and inches after too many wood pieces ruined.
---------------- wrote in message The VAST majority of tape measures sold in Canada over the last 20+ years are dual scale. Which is why I said the Acuratape was "rare" in Canada, being inch only.
On 10/30/2011 3:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Ah, well, it's reversed for me in the US. Dual is rare. The Stanley website shows -one- dual amongst 30+ single models to choose from.
Anyway, it was just a thought. The floor-joist answers seem better.
On 10/30/2011 7:06 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:

Another centering system just like using 12, 16, 24. To stud out an 8' sheet : @ 12" - 9 studs/rafters/joists @16" - 7 studs @19.2- 6 studs @24 - 5 studs
On 10/30/2011 7:06 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:

the marking are what we call the 19-2 layout (19 and 2/10ths inches). used more with floor trusses. the floor trusses are strong enough to be spaced just over 19 inches apart and a sheet of floor decking still works being half on the truss at eight feet. floor trusses are made of 2x4's and steel plates.
Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_black_diamond_markings_on_a_tape_measure#ixzz1cGzOtNXG
Love my Komelon 12 footer. I like the self locking feature that doesn't require unlocking to pull out like my Stanley 30'. The 12' is so small and light for woodworking.
On 10/30/2011 8:06 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:

On 10/30/11 7:06 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:

Engineered lumber and metric. Some engineered joists are spaced at 19.2" instead of 16". I'm guessing it's because they are stronger and also because it's pretty close to half a meter and engineers work in metric.
--

-MIKE-

What planet do you live on?
Tell me what sheet good these "Engineers" have put on 19.2" O.C. framing?
------------- "-MIKE-" wrote in message Engineered lumber and metric. Some engineered joists are spaced at 19.2" instead of 16". I'm guessing it's because they are stronger and also because it's pretty close to half a meter and engineers work in metric.
--

-MIKE-

On 10/30/11 10:38 PM, m II wrote:

Just when I think you're staring to be a normal human being, you turn your douchebag back on. The worst part is that even a complete moron could google this and save himself the embarrassment of coming in here and making such an ignorant statement.
Floor trusses and I-joists are commonly engineered/manufactured to be laid out at that spacing. You get 5 per 8' sheet of subfloor instead of 6, as in 16oc. My tape measure even has little diamonds every 19.2 inches to go along with the highlighted numbers every 16 inches. Do you think that was an accident?
--

-MIKE-

Funny metric system you have. Now tell the group how 19.2" relates to metric. Did you miss grade four arithmetic or are you always full of shit?
You sure cry lot when you get caught.

50 cm divided by 2.54 (cm/inch) gives 19.68503937007874 inch, which is apparently close enough to 19.2". see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_(unit)
--
Best regards
Han
On 10/31/11 6:32 AM, Han wrote:

You don't expect him to actually look and see if there's dog crap on the bottom of his foot, before he sticks it in his mouth, do you? :-)
--

-MIKE-

I don't know whether I agree or not. A single offset of .47" is no big deal, but if it accumulates over a 20' wall, where the spacing is supposed to be 19.67" and the joist are placed just so, while the nailer goes 19.2" between, that could be a problem. Not that it is likely, but ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 10/31/11 2:36 PM, Han wrote:

The spacing *IS NOT* supposed to be 19.67. That's the point. It's supposed to be 19.2, because it divides equally into 8 feet.
The joist/truss is engineered in metric. It was engineered for spacing at 50 centimeters. Spacing it a little less doesn't hurt its integrity but sure helps the carpenter.
How am I not making this clear? I haven't even had a beer yet. :-)
--

-MIKE-

OK, I was lazy. I thought the spacing should be at 50 cm, but that's wrong if it has tocome to 8 feet, 96 inches or 243.84 cm, rather than 250 cm. So the spacing should be 48.768 cm.
That's what you get when translating units between SI and imperial.
--
Best regards
Han