Tape Measures for woodworking

Reply to
tiredofspam

Swingman, which 12 footer did you get. I have the green one I don't know if my number matches. but on Amazon it looks like it might be SL2812

I see they have a yellow SL2912...

I didn't see where either said MM...Although the SL2912 looks like the tape is marked with fractions.

Either way, I think you'll find using this tape is much nicer than others. I use a sharpie fine point red to mark my mark... Alcohol cleans it off nicely.

Reply to
tiredofspam

IIRC Rockler has that brand tape measure too.

Reply to
Leon

What planet do you live on?

Tell me what sheet good these "Engineers" have put on 19.2" O.C. framing?

Reply to
m II

Just when I think you're staring to be a normal human being, you turn your douchebag back on. The worst part is that even a complete moron could google this and save himself the embarrassment of coming in here and making such an ignorant statement.

Floor trusses and I-joists are commonly engineered/manufactured to be laid out at that spacing. You get 5 per 8' sheet of subfloor instead of

6, as in 16oc. My tape measure even has little diamonds every 19.2 inches to go along with the highlighted numbers every 16 inches. Do you think that was an accident?
Reply to
-MIKE-

All but the ones that don't.

Reply to
CW

Funny metric system you have. Now tell the group how 19.2" relates to metric. Did you miss grade four arithmetic or are you always full of shit?

You sure cry lot when you get caught.

Just when I think you're staring to be a normal human being, you turn your douchebag back on. The worst part is that even a complete moron could google this and save himself the embarrassment of coming in here and making such an ignorant statement.

Floor trusses and I-joists are commonly engineered/manufactured to be laid out at that spacing. You get 5 per 8' sheet of subfloor instead of

6, as in 16oc. My tape measure even has little diamonds every 19.2 inches to go along with the highlighted numbers every 16 inches. Do you think that was an accident?
Reply to
m II

"m II" wrote in news:8Fprq.12262$v snipped-for-privacy@newsfe21.iad:

50 cm divided by 2.54 (cm/inch) gives 19.68503937007874 inch, which is apparently close enough to 19.2". see also
Han

"CW" wrote in news:LaydnQvLrfsTuTPTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

For real engineering, where accuracy is important, I'd prefer SI units, but hey, I'm a retired biochemist with initial education definitely outside US.

Reply to
Han

I always tell the women, in mm., but tell them it's inches.

I'm glad your's has both inches and mm. Mine has just inches. You let me know afterwards.

Reply to
Josepi

bottom of his foot, before he sticks it in his mouth, do you? :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

This is the one I ordered:

Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:0_ednU_c5-HdfDPTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Now I will have 2 25'imperial sort of tape measure, 1 pure metric one (from Dad), and this new one to rule them all!!!

Reply to
Han

-MIKE- wrote in news:j8msk3$7q8$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I don't know whether I agree or not. A single offset of .47" is no big deal, but if it accumulates over a 20' wall, where the spacing is supposed to be 19.67" and the joist are placed just so, while the nailer goes 19.2" between, that could be a problem. Not that it is likely, but ...

Reply to
Han

The spacing *IS NOT* supposed to be 19.67. That's the point. It's supposed to be 19.2, because it divides equally into 8 feet.

The joist/truss is engineered in metric. It was engineered for spacing at 50 centimeters. Spacing it a little less doesn't hurt its integrity but sure helps the carpenter.

How am I not making this clear? I haven't even had a beer yet. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

On 10/31/2011 12:22 PM, Han wrote: ...

If it were a mis-measurement, sure, but in this case it isn't a mistake, it's a deliberate compensation.

It's the _correct_ measurement for laying out so that the span will work correctly for 8-ft sheets, a most common dimension for sheathing, subflooring, etc., etc., etc.

If the truss/rafter/joist system is adequate on 19.67" centers, it's certainly adequate on a _closer_ spacing since that shortens the distance between them and thereby decreases the deflections, etc. from what would be (a few percent at most so not enough to make any practical difference, but it _is_ the conservative direction).

Reply to
dpb

-MIKE- wrote in news:j8n06q$1og$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

OK, I was lazy. I thought the spacing should be at 50 cm, but that's wrong if it has tocome to 8 feet, 96 inches or 243.84 cm, rather than 250 cm. So the spacing should be 48.768 cm.

That's what you get when translating units between SI and imperial.

Reply to
Han

tiredofspam

Ah, well, it's reversed for me in the US. Dual is rare. The Stanley website shows -one- dual amongst 30+ single models to choose from.

Anyway, it was just a thought. The floor-joist answers seem better.

Reply to
aeroloose

>Another triumph of Canadian technology?

Here's another triumph of Canadian technology, for those who don't know whether to use metric or imperial:

Peter Bennett