Tape Measures for woodworking

Page 1 of 4
I've owned quite a few different tape measures, but haven't found what I deem to be "the one" for woodworking. My favorite thus far seems to be the Stanley 33-116. I love the size of it, which is probably why I keep buying them. If I could change it though, I would get rid of the 32nd marks over the first 12 inches of the tape. Maybe it's my eyes, but those little lines just all sort of blur together. And who is going to use a tape measure at all if they are shooting for 64th of an inch accuracy? The only other thing that I might do is put in the eighth-inch labels. But overall, it's my favorite. So far...
JP

Lufkin QR 1312. Haven't let me down.....yet.
Max
RE: Subject
A 25-30 ft fat Stanley.
Lew

I very rarely need a 25 foot tape for cabinet work. I use this one every day in the shop:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p2562&cat=1,43513
Measure with your off hand, write with the dominant. What a brilliant idea. Also a version for southpaws. This little LV tape is small and light. Price has gone up $2 since I first tried one of these.
OTOH, for carpentry, my old standby is a 25 foot Stanley leverlock. I don't use anything this big very often.
On 10/27/2011 10:47 PM, Roy wrote:

I have two of those, but from day one kept having problems with the hook slipping off any edge. Basically, both of mine are useless for my purposes, so they gather dust in a drawer.
AAMOF, I even wrote to Rob about the problem years ago, so sounds they might have fixed it by now?
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I've had these tapes since Ike hit us, so that was just over 3 years ago, if that helps you compare their age with your tapes. I gave the last of my originals (5-6 years old now) away right after Ike to one of my neighbors and ordered this batch.
I don't remember the previous set having obvious hook slipping problems so can't say if these three are better or worse than the previous ones. There are three shallow grooves on the back of the hook I presume to reduce slippage. If yours don't have the grooves, then Rob must have listened to you and tried to fix the problem.
I don't think these hook quite as well as the bigger tapes, but they are only 1/2 inch wide so not as rigid nor do they have as big a hook as a 3/4 or 1" tape. Having said that, I don't find these difficult or inconvenient to use for cabinet work, but it is pretty rare I need to measure anything much over 4-5 feet. A wider tape is a big advantage when measuring 6 feet or more just because they are self supporting.
Now, having typed that, I had to go out to the garashop to experiment. The little LV tapes are self supporting to 3'9". My little 5' Zippo that lives in my pocket collapses at 21 inches. I tested a brand new Jorgensen, my old standby Stanley and a Kobolt. Each one of these is 1" wide, 25' long and each one of them was self supporting to within a few inches either side of 8' even.
I don't know what in the hell that has to do with your original question, but there ya go.
On 10/29/2011 9:43 PM, Roy wrote:

Mine do have the three grooves. Where DO they differ from the Stanley's, is that the two rivet heads, on the concentric (bottom) side that holds the hook on, are visibly thicker than my Stanley's rivets ... the result is the hook does not sit as far down on the piece being measured, meaning their hold is not as secure.
A case where more robust is not necessarily better ... perhaps that has been addressed in later versions. I wasn't going to spend the money to find out.
Don't get me wrong, the LV's are the perfect size for shop use and I love the 'right-handedness'. I just got tired of them slipping off the work piece. Not every time mind you, but just about every time damn time I was in a situation where I didn't have one to spare and another hand would have been ideal, the hook would cant upwards throwing the measurement off close to a 1/16".
I'm glad to see they work for you, I sure wish they did for me ... being LV you would almost bet, and win, on the consistency of readings from tape to tape.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
-------------- "JayPique" wrote in message
I've owned quite a few different tape measures, but haven't found what I deem to be "the one" for woodworking. My favorite thus far seems to be the Stanley 33-116. I love the size of it, which is probably why I keep buying them. If I could change it though, I would get rid of the 32nd marks over the first 12 inches of the tape. Maybe it's my eyes, but those little lines just all sort of blur together. And who is going to use a tape measure at all if they are shooting for 64th of an inch accuracy? The only other thing that I might do is put in the eighth-inch labels. But overall, it's my favorite. So far...
JP
On 10/27/2011 7:07 PM, JayPique wrote:

The most important characteristic of any tape measure for me: One that perfectly matches my table saw fence tape!
In this case:
A 12' Stanley 33-212.
Small, fits nicely in the apron; the hook is accurate and doesn't slip; consistent/same reading accuracy from one tape measure to another; therefore I keep four on hand all the time - one in the truck, one in the tool bag, one in the shop apron, one in the shop drawer.
It's like measuring with the same tape measure, time after time. Can't get any better than that.
YMMV ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 10/28/11 9:57 AM, Swingman wrote:

I have one "master" tape measure. It goes to the store as a reference any time I'm shopping for an linear measuring device. Especially if that store happens to sell a lot of Freight that come into Harbor. :-) You can take one of each off their walls, tape, stick, square, etc., and none of them will match up after 16 inches.
--

-MIKE-

Maybe need to take a thermometer to insure the same tape metal expansion....LOL
Are you serious? How much are they off?
--------- "-MIKE-" wrote in message I have one "master" tape measure. It goes to the store as a reference any time I'm shopping for an linear measuring device. Especially if that store happens to sell a lot of Freight that come into Harbor. :-) You can take one of each off their walls, tape, stick, square, etc., and none of them will match up after 16 inches.
--

-MIKE-

And again as usual, with remarkable clarity you demonstrate your ignorance.
There can be a disparity among tape mesures and a visually noticeable one too. When you're fitting some type of joint or assembling cabinets, a disparity of 1/64" can make the construction more difficult. Most of the woodworkers here have likely noticed it on occasion. You? You wouldn't be able to discern a 2x4 if it clocked you on the side of the head.
PS. I left one typo in this message just so your feeble mind would have something to stimulate it.
On 10/29/11 9:10 PM, m II wrote:

16th to 3/8" at 4 feet.
--

-MIKE-

On 10/30/2011 12:34 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

No shit! ... and folks wonder why their projects don't end up being square when they use multiple tape measures on the same project.
As I'm sure you know, the best tape measure is NO tape measure.
I never measure when I can _mark_.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I finally figured that one out a couple years ago, too. What a difference! No more being 1" off (always short, right?) on a measurement with a tape, even if I wrote it down at the time of measurement... <sigh>
Story sticks are _happenin'!_
-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman
On 10/30/11 12:05 PM, Swingman wrote:

I'm glad to hear someone else say that!
I had another guy look at me like I was a nut case when I carried pieces of trim around to mark, then to the saw to cut. He said, "why don't you just use a tape measure?" I answered, "Because I only want to make one cut."
--

-MIKE-

By the way, I have a 30' Stanley 30-997, one of the older, discontinued, Leverlock models. Red. The newer yellow Leverlocks suck, by comparison. If I ever find any of these for sale, new old stock, I will buy half a dozen.
This thing is a perfect tape measure. I also like that the tape takes a pencil or shaprie marker mark very well, but not so much that it can't be rubbed off.
--

-MIKE-

Crikey!
That could explain a few things over the years. Sometimes you write the measurement down, double check it, be really careful when cutting, twice checked (reread) reaffirm the saw thickness and line-up with the laser line and the damn things is still 1/16" too short. Should have fit like a glove???
More research will be taking place on the tapes I have. I have about 5 or 6 different brands and a few the same brand. I just find this really hard to believe! I can see the end stop gets off or is manufactured badly but then some of my favourites are the cheapo units. A few Stanley's I have paid big bucks for turned out to be garbage and bent within a month of usage.
I still can't use that excuse for the many cuts I have done tat were off by 1" over the years but.... I have a theory that the rivets on the end hook that allow it to slide have been caught and they always seem to be an exact 1" from the end.
---------
"-MIKE-" wrote in message
By the way, I have a 30' Stanley 30-997, one of the older, discontinued, Leverlock models. Red. The newer yellow Leverlocks suck, by comparison. If I ever find any of these for sale, new old stock, I will buy half a dozen.
This thing is a perfect tape measure. I also like that the tape takes a pencil or shaprie marker mark very well, but not so much that it can't be rubbed off.
--

-MIKE-

Try the Komelon, I have the Stanley Lever Lock. The red. My little 12' Komelon kills it. easy to pull out, ____light____, marks well, I use alcohol to clean my marks off. Of course I use my 30' Lever Lock for construction, but not wood working since I found the Komelon, and yes guys I agree story sticks are nice. I prefer marking from one piece to the next. I use a knife. But when I need it.. the Light and accurate Komelon gets my use. So light I keep it on me always while working.
On 10/30/2011 1:33 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

On 10/30/2011 3:57 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

I'm gonna take your word on this. Never heard of them until now.
AAMOF, needed ten bucks to kick me to the free shipping category on an Amazon gift card so just added two of the 12' model Komelon to the cart as I was checking out.
I was looking for something small that had both inches and mm so I could use it when setting the parallel guides with my Festool guide rails without having to pull out the calculator and do a conversion.
Damn ... two of the 12' puppies for just over ten bucks, in lieu of shipping, total cost zero!
Hope they're not as _cheap_ as the price reflects! :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010