Tape measure deals

Page 1 of 3
Hey All:
I don't know how many of you are like me, but I hate all of the tape measures on the market today. I don't want metric on one edge with SAE on the other. I want SAE on both edges of the tape. I don't think or measure in metric increments, so I don't want that taking up valuable space on my tape. I hate it if I have to move my tape to mark a measurement, just because there is some irrelevant markings along the edge I happened to drag for marking.
Likewise - i can read a tape measure. I don't want and I don't like the clutter of the new generation of idiot proof tapes that actually label 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, etc. for those that don't know how to read the simple marks on a tape.
So... having stopped by the local Ace Hardware to pick up a tape for a friend, wasn't I surprised to find a basic tape (25' Ace brand) - just 1/16" ticks on both edges of the tape. No idiot stuff, no metric stuff. Fits your hand nice, has a really nice positive lock that locks and unlocks easily holds the tape firmly. The best part - only 7 bucks and change! Hell - I wasn't going to spend a lot of money on a give away tape...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
On 2/12/2012 4:51 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

I agree totally about the idiot tapes. I bought one for one of my "always counting little marks" fellas. It didn't help him all that much and I can't stand to use it. I also don't like all the strange ways of locking the tape. I prefer and will only buy the old original (well, not metal cased anymore-sadly) Stanley PowerLoc.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
On 2/12/2012 5:51 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

It is not as much of a problem when you loose a cheap tape as when you loose and expensive one.
I am getting old and found that by buying a bunch of cheap tapes and having them all around the shop and house I can always find one. There was a point when I was spending more time looking for the expensive tape than I was doing projects that required a tape.
On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:51:53 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

I was always of the same thought though most of my tapes are Klein as that's what the electrical supply houses usually stocked. But I've found with some of the Festool tools its handy to have a tape with both inches and metric. Actually bought some of the same tapes Swingman mentioned from Amazon. Don't have to do the math that way.
Mike M

SAE?
Society of automotive engineers, what kind of measurement is that?

Oh! You're talking about feet and inches. You mean /imperial/ units!
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails

Mine reads in Planck Units.
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:23:04 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

How is old Max, anyway? What'd you pay for the quantum tape unit?
-- To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves... We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is here--with its gift of energy and heightened awareness--so we can do our best and learn the most in the new situation. Peter McWilliams, Life 101

Finally somebody's awake...

I thing the divisions might be a bit close together for my old eyes
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:23:04 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

You've just been plonked, err, I mean plancked.
On 2/13/2012 11:19 AM, Stuart wrote:

That depends upon your scientific discipline of study over here ... if you were a geologist the standard would be "API". :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I guess that's what I do (did). Just never stopped to figure out why I did it that way. Seriously, I never even noticed the tape was upside down. (Maybe because I learned to read upside down in French literature in highschool.. HAD to cheat to get through that course.)
On 2/13/2012 4:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: Snip

And on some tapes, 2 little sticks is 1/5". That played hell on a buddy and me when He was calling the measurement, from his new 1/10" scale tape to me, so that I could cut the exterior window trim for him to attach on the second story. Still Too LONG!
On 2/13/2012 11:32 AM, Swingman wrote:

Oh! API would be automotive too.. LOL
http://www.experts123.com/q/what-does-sae-and-api-mean.html
On 2/13/2012 11:19 AM, Stuart wrote:

I believe he was referring to SAE as opposed to Metric. As in INCHES. and fractions thereof. Like the wrenches. SAE or metric. hello?
--
Steve Barker

If they're good enough for Darth Vader, they're good enough for me.

Then you have something called "BobsRule" which is in units called "bobs" (whatever they are):
http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/hardware/bobsrule/bobsrule.shtml

LoREENA Bobbit made up her own rule.
I've been known to use both sides of the tape while measuring. This board's 61-5/8", that one is 123mm.
-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
On 2/13/2012 9:06 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I'm getting there.
But what is 0.525mm easier than 3/8" ?