Tape measure deals

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:23:04 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

You've just been plonked, err, I mean plancked.

Reply to
Dave

It's not. But when DESIGNING in metric, everything is done in tens or tenths, hunreds or hundredths. So 1MM is .01CM, none of the silly 12 inches to a foot, 3 feet to a yard, 36 inches to a yard etc, and none of the .125 inches to the 1/8 inch. You design to the .1meter or .01meter, or 12.5mm or whatever and never need to convert by anything more complicated than moving decimal points to convert from one unit to another.

Reply to
clare

He did, and he blatantly overlooked the metric RCH. Ptooie, how many thou was that?

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It only happens when I'm matching board lengths and I measure the first board. If it lines up precisely with the metric side of the tape and is in between ticks on the imperial, I use the metric scale. Not a prob.

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ok, but why would I WANT TO do that??? It's damned difficult to eyeball 2 mm vs 3, But dividing spaces into successive halves is easy. I can reliably estimate 3/23" Half way between 1/16 and 1/8.

Call them silly if you want, but I'm not buying it as long as Greenwich runs on base 60/60/24/30,31,29or maybe 29.

Although I have to admit getting away from pounds/shillings/pence/ha'pennies was a good idea. Shame it's not working so well.

Reply to
Richard

I do that one too. But I wasn't going to admit it first...

Reply to
Richard

AND! Even the type is so obvious anybody would catch it. That's not so obvious in mm.

Reply to
Richard

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Don't worry, we'll just use nanometers, micrometers, or maybe picometers.

If we wanted to really confuse things, we could apply the SI prefixes to inches.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

It is. Working with wood and present dimensional material is not, but designing a new machined part is a snap. If you start with rough lumber, you can plane it to 19mm easy enough but with a 2 x 4 you'd be off .1 from a round number. 38.1 x 88.9

Designing a new part and new machined tool, metric is a snap with very few less than full mm dimensions.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:88d71$4f39de92 $4b75eb81$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

Unfortunately, it is also wrong, or at least inaccurate.

1 mm=0.1 cm, not 0.01 cm. For woodworking, 0.525 mm is the same as 0.5 mm, or 0.0206692913 inch, or however many in fractional inches. 0.525 mm is orders of magnitude different from 3/8".
Reply to
Han

Puckdropper wrote in news:4f39ef8e$0$5486 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

That would then be Silly Itsy SAE ...

Reply to
Han

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

On the other hand, lumber being very anal retentive in nomenclature, width x length in mm of sheets of plywood, wallboard, or whatever is really interesting 122x244cm

Reply to
Han

Han wrote in news:Xns9FF94F2E85281ikkezelf@

216.151.153.189:

With metric measurements, exact size should be easy, right? Do the manufacturers still try to sell 18mm plywood that's only 17.2mm?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote in news:4f3a6558$0$2328 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Do they still sell 1 lb coffeecans with 12 oz of loosely ground coffee?

Reply to
Han

the two 12 footers that my dad had my whole growing up were metal cased. I remember him buying replacement tapes for them several times. I'll bet he still has them somewhere in his array of stuff.

Reply to
Steve Barker

After working with non retractable measures for the past 6 weeks, almost exclusively except for when I needed to measure more than 48" I have almost given up on tape measures. Too inconsistent and finicky.

I probably have 5 FastCap measures. IMHO they are as good asthe next measure. I too would like to see a smaller tape measure, 12' would be nice. I tried a

but it failed the accuracy measure test before I used it. It was out

1/32" within 37" I still need to exchange or return it to Rockler.

I Fast Cap I prefer the green lefty/righty / measure in imperial.

Reply to
Leon

Oh! API would be automotive too.. LOL

Leon

Yabbut, the term "RCH" has such a wonderful je ne sais quoi about it.

How about using "portions of a parsec"?

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I thing the divisions might be a bit close together for my old eyes

Reply to
Stuart

On 2/13/2012 4:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: Snip

And on some tapes, 2 little sticks is 1/5". That played hell on a buddy and me when He was calling the measurement, from his new 1/10" scale tape to me, so that I could cut the exterior window trim for him to attach on the second story. Still Too LONG!

Reply to
Leon