Tablesaw comparison/buying guide

Page 3 of 3
"Bill" wrote:

Take a look at the NYW unit.
Understand it is the most popular project Norm ever built.

NO!!!
The first time you use one and the bit slips in the collet destroying a valuable piece of wood, you will understand.
Damn things don't even make good boat anchors.

Not a bad choice, but take a look at Milwaukee.
Several on wreck can offer their experience with big red routers.

The most important tool in the boat yard is the thinking chair.
Lew

Lew, I might have to disagree with you on this. I have been as big a Craftsman basher as any regarding the their drop in quality over the past 30 years. But during early 70's and before they did build some good stuff. I have one each early 70's Router, and 7" circular saw that my wife bought as gifts in the early 70's. Both were of solid metal construction and both are still doing the job. The only disadvantage of the router is the 1/4" collet that I just haven't got around to replacing, but it holds depth fine and is a good second machine when doing multiple contours.
The old saw is kinda beat up and has had to cord and brushes replaced but still works fine. When we were starting our house last year, our framer saw it and offered to trade one of his new Dewalts for it. "Good looking saw. They don't make them like that anymore!" he said.
I also owned one of their late 70's table saws and I'm glad its gone.
RonB
"RonB" wrote:
------------------------------------------ Lew, I might have to disagree with you on this. I have been as big a Craftsman basher as any regarding the their drop in quality over the past 30 years. But during early 70's and before they did build some good stuff. I have one each early 70's Router, and 7" circular saw that my wife bought as gifts in the early 70's. -------------------------------------------------------
My comment was specifically aimed at early 70's router.
Was warned but didn't listen.
Learned the hard way.
Might want to keep an eye on yours.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Like always, it probably all depends on _which_ particular router/collet--I also have one of similar vintage as did Dad and never been an issue w/ either of them...and after these number of years I'm not going to start now being any more wary than ever have been.... :)
Of course, like others, I've mostly gone to others recently owing to the 1/4" collet limitation but I'd not worry for what they're up to.
But, as noted, there were several models to choose from even then.

I have read at least half

I located the DVD, "Router 101" (Item#0606), from NewYankee.com (it is about $40). Is that the video you mean?
Thanks, Bill
"Bill" wrote:

No that is something else.
Try item: 0301.
Lew

Don't know about the riving knife, but I know Jet has a cabinet saw/table that fits their X-Acta lift. I don't see it as a big deal to put one in any table though. I have the X-Acta lift and am planning to put it in my Delta's table. Yes, I know it'll get in the way but so does the router table.
I purchased a Steel City saw about a year ago - very happy with it. I got the steel top, not the granite - that one just didn't seem very well thought out to me. As for the steel top saw that I ended up with, I couldn't be happier. I had to call the company about one of the hand wheels not turning freely and they were extremely helpful, shipped a replacement part next day air at no cost, and made me feel very well supported. I would buy from them again without hesitation.

You are on the correct track by researching ...
From the replies you have gotten so far, the only item I can add is if you haven't yet, you should define your requirements, current and future, and short list those saws that meet it.
Only knowing that you are looking for a good tablesaw I suggest the you look at the Ridgid 3650 / 3660 table saw.
I have had mine for 3 years now, and continue to be extremely happy with it. It is heavy cast iron, good motor, belt driven blade, 36" rip fence, very good solid fence, repeatable accuracy and good price. I have not had to make any adjustments yet. The only downside is the dust collection port is not as good as it should be.
When I was researching mine, I asked friends and co-workers what saw they had and found that this was common, so I was able to go a check a few out that had some use on them.
If your budget and shop space are unlimited, then there probably are better saws available, but still I think you would be remiss if you did not look at if only to cross it off your list.

John Wood wrote:

Talking about Ebay. 3 yrs ago I bought a hardly used Jet JWCS-10A-PF Cabinet Saw for 375.00. The guy used it twice to cut plywood. There wasn't even a scratch in the paint. And he threw in a bunch of other stuff. If you live in a fairly big city or willing to travel a bit, you can't beat the price!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Though it starts from first principles and doesn't give a clue about trade names, John might find the following of some use:
http://tinyurl.com/n9gyca
Jeff
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron
John Wood wrote:

FWIW, I think you get the most bang for your buck with Grizzly cabinet saws - they are solid and reliable.. Certainly nothing wrong with the others you list but I think Jet is over priced...their tools seem to me to be much the same as Grizzly with a bit of cosmetic change.
Whichever you decide on, get at least 3HP and 220v.
--

dadiOH