Spray painter comparison

Can anyone provide comparison information on the advantages/disadvantages of HVLP airless paint sprayers to that of air compressor paint sprayers?

Reply to
Tom Mercer

JGS

The subject comes up all the time so you can google this news group. HVLP uses less paint because more of it goes on the intended surface (less over spray). In contrast, many HVLP units do not do well with heavy paint such as latex. You also need to consider the differences between conversion HVLP units (which use a compressor) and HVLP units with their own blower. Oh yeah, high end HVLP units can be very expensive. Depends on what you want if for.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

HVLP airless? HVLP is High Volume Low Pressure. No such thing as HVLP airless! Airless is a third category and the pressure is high but there is no air and thus, no air pressure.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Tom, I see from your other post that your talking about a wagner type painter. The other poster is correct that these are just above a POS. If you want something to paint a house rent an airless sprayer. If you want a fine finish then get an HVLP system.

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

Airless sprayers atomize the paint by the enormous pressure that the paint is under at the exiting nozzle.

HVLP or regular sprayers atomize the paint by blowing the paint feed apart with air.

The systems are not interchangeable.

The HVLP/regular sprayers can be used for basically the same jobs.

Airless, however, is best suited for serious through-put of heavier materials. I just painted my daughter's sitting room. The room's ceiling is acoustic tile, and the walls are T&G panels. I covered the carpet with plastic. taped the windows and baseboards, and painted the room with 2 gallons of paint in 30 minutes. That's where the airless system shines. Mine is a Titan system and it has paid for itself many times over in the last 5 years. I ended up with it after a large renovation job where it was the only way to paint the overhead exposed structural steel. With an extension wand, it was actually a lot of fun. Airless systems are often rated in HP (mine is a 3/4 HP at 3000 PSI) Some are rated in Gallons per minute, which should tell you something. Great for the outside of houses, barns etc. Great for irregular surfaces like block and brick.

HVLP is for finer finishes. Conversion guns are as good as any. No need for all that dedicated turbine stuff although a friend does very nice work with his Fuji. If you're planning on using waterborne finishes, make sure that stainless components are used.

YMMV

Reply to
Robatoy