Table Saws, plus....

Page 2 of 2
On 10/4/2010 9:17 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Hooray for everybody!
--
Repeat after me:
"I am we Todd it. I am sofa king we Todd it."

Yeah, back when I was in school, I may not have liked all my teachers, but I respected and obeyed all of them. Kids nowadays don't seem to do that at all.

No child left behind = No kid gets ahead.
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
Larry Jaques wrote:

Lots of them don't even respect and obey their parent (s). But that's only half the story. There are lots of good kids out there too. Everybody can probably name a few.
Bill

It just appears that things are different now than when we went to school. Pocket knives were OK then.
Now I read about some schools where metal detectors are being installed at all school entrances, armed guards man the hallways--and sometimes in the classrooms.
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
Larry Jaques wrote:

Yep, kids today seem to be better armed... The prospect of being cut or shot did not seem like a possibility when we went to high school.
Bill wrote:

really? my mom retired from teaching after putting in 25 years in 1985 because someone pulled a pistol on her in class, and who was back in school after a 2 week suspension.
chaniarts wrote:

Sorry, I generalized too fast. Location, location, location... We had 3 sides of town and 3 high schools. I went to the one in the middle, it was on the west end. Attending the school on the east end would have been scary 30 years ago. As I recall, the kids at the 3rd h.s. had a reputation for spending a lot of money on drugs (KO).
Bill
On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 19:21:39 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Most of the guys in my high school had switchblades :-). Not to mention the occasional zip gun. And I remember one football player who carried brass knuckles.
Surprisingly, the only kid I remember ever getting hurt by all this weaponry was one knucklehead who put smokeless powder in his black powder muzzleloading pistol. Blew his thumb off. He didn't get a lot of sympathy.

The horrible examples -- like the girl who walked back into my wife's classroom after having been called to the office and announced to the room as she pointed at Jane, "That bitch wrote me up" -- are the easy proof that bad get more notice than good. But she should have checked behind her. The Vice Principal was there, and the girl's no longer going to be attending school.
And no, that apple did not fall far from the tree.
snipped-for-privacy@indy.rr.com says...

What state is this? The only way to remove a kid from school around here is to get them sent to jail. Technically they can be expelled, however they are still owed an education, so the district has to provide tutors for them, which costs a lot more than letting them back into school.

That would be metro Indianapolis (MSD Lawrence Twp).
Today's adventure was the e-mail the girl sent to Jane -- "Just continue to be a bitch..." And that got her bounced from the next school where she lasted one day. Sad thing is, the student had been doing well in the subject.
On 10/4/10 6:09 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too. --Judge Smails
:-)
--

-MIKE-

Ref.: "Idiocracy"

The USA in self-fulfilling prophecy, unfortunately. Scary, scary movie.
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

And this differs from, oh, say, the UAW how? DAGS <GM Stamping plant closure +Indianapolis> In this case, the national got it, local union leaders f'ed over their co-workers.
said:

It doesn't. How does this relate to the subject?
On 2010-10-02 08:27:15 -0400, Larry Jaques

I will concur with your first graf, disagree with both arguments in your second, and remind you with the third that all generalizations are false...
There are some charter schools of which I'm aware that make public schools look like the hallmarks of academe. And there are plenty of "adult educational programs" that are run largely to sell largely useless high-dollar "courses of instruction" that leave students unemployed, uneducated, and with huge student loans at the end of the program. These differ only in the cost from the diploma mills that used to advertise (in small ads in the back pages of magazines) a "Doctorate degree" for a couple-hundred bucks...