table saw sled

Does anyone have plan links for building a table saw sled ? I have a 10" ridgid table saw.

Thanks, Smitty

Reply to
papadoo1

Here is a basic design:

one I use only runs on one side of the blade. The key is to put it together perfectly square.

1 cut your runner(s) for a snug fit in the slot(s) 2 put two pennies under each end of the runner in the slot 3 put doublestick tape on top of the runner 4 place your sled on top of the runner using a square 5 make test cuts and check for square 6 screw the runner(s) to the sled
Reply to
RayV

Alternately...

4 Screw the runner to the sled. 5 Trim the excess sled off by running it past the blade. 6 Attach the fence perpendicular to the blade.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Reply to
Pat Barber

| Does anyone have plan links for building a | table saw sled ? I have a 10" ridgid table saw.

Photos to news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Morris Dovey

Geez, Smitty, you use gmail but didn't think to use google to find some links?

Reply to
lwasserm

guessing so the fence can help push the piece through the blade. On my sled I have the fence mounted toward the front but I'm not sure why. Maybe it is because this is the first sled I ever saw

RayV

Tue, Oct 24, 2006, 5:25am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (RayV) doth sayeth: All of the cutoff sleds linked have the fence in the back. I'm guessing so the fence can help push the piece through the blade. On my sled I have the fence mounted toward the front but I'm not sure why. Maybe it is because this is the first sled I ever saw

Different people use different terms. I've seen people call what I would call the back of a sled, the front. When I say the back of a sled, I mean the edge nearest me when using it. I take it that's what you mean.

Most of my sleds have fences front and back. That's because I usually run a piece from the front fence to the back that holds a clamp to hold the wood in place if desired.

Other sleds I just use the back fence. Partly to push the wood, partly to make it easier to hold it in place. I don't think I'd prefer a fence just in the front of a sled.

I just glued up a small sled last night, that's very simple, for a special project. Once I do the work on that, I'me not sure if I'll toss the sled, or modify it to use on something else. Probably just toss it, as I'm in the process of making a larger sled, with front and rear fences, and a clamp. After that, I'll make another large sled, with just a rear fence.

Saw sleds are very useful, but they ain't rocket science.

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

How about:

6 Attach the fence perpendicular to the cut made in step 5?
Reply to
fredfighter

I did use google, Larry. But. . .I like to get opinions from the great minds here. I also have a lot of books on shop stuff plus back issues of FW. I found just yesterday, a nice design for a sled I'm in the process of making. Thanks to all for their input.

Smitty

snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net wrote:

Reply to
papadoo1

Yep...that's what I had in my mind when I was writing it. Certainly easier to use a square against the board edge than against the blade.

On thing I'll never do again is to use laminated plywood for the fence...it bowed slightly and I tried to pull it back straight when fastening it down. It's pretty close, but not quite perfectly perpendicular to the blade.

Next fence will be a piece of jointed straight-grain hardwood.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Who needs plans? I just copied the one which Norm used on one of his shows. Jim Jim

Reply to
Jim

The one I use the most is set up like yours. Reason for doing it this way is that more of the sled stays on the table. No need to push it off the end for small cuts. Downside is possible tearout on the rear of the cut due to no support.

Reply to
CW

RE: Subject

Still haven't seen the one Fred Bingham uses.

I like it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett