Table Saw Purchase Info

Hello. I am looking to buy a table saw. Not the flimsy table top variety, and not the most expensive Jet either. But a good table saw. How much should I plan to spend?

I want it to look like the saw in this photo:

Chris Coddington

Honestly, theres all kinds of interpretations of what ' good ' is.

A serious consideration ( to me ) when buying a table saw is that built in problem of the square the manufacturer provides. The slot cut into the table top that the flimsy square rides in always has side play. Side play in the square means a crosscut will always be less or more than 90 degress.

I find that factor in a table saw less than a desireable brand to buy... in other words... why should I have to fix a brand new machine to bring it up to grade ???

I went to 2 fully equiped wookworker retail shores a few months ago and tested every floor model they had and every brand name had exactly the same problem... the long tongue of the square rides in a track machined into the table top and every last one of them has side play.

I have an Oliver # 80 Variety Bench Saw in my shop. There is no such problem in this model. I've had the good fortune to use a few other model numbers in the family of Oliver and none of them has this built in side play either. With the # 80 model the whole left side of the table which runs in a track in a sub-table and on ball bearings... the left side of the table moves and the stock stays still ! A 32 inch maximum board can be cross cut on this saw.

Other Oliver models of smaller size ( the model 80 takes a 16 inch blade ) has an upside down ' T ' groove cut into the table top that the long tongue of the square rides in... hence...no side play.

I am a sort which would rather rip a 10 foot 4 x 4 of rock maple with a hand saw than give into a table saw manufacturer than produces a machine they are calling ' quality ' when that square of their's wobbles from side to side in that table top groove.

Anyway, if I were shopping for a table saw I'd consider what I plan to use it for... percision work or basic work.... hard use or occasional use. I would certainly consider a used machine which has the features already mentioned since an old Oliver is better than every brand I've ever seen in all the wookworker retail stores to date.... and I've been in this trade for 40 years.

What should you spend ??? Get a second mortgage... sell part of your family of inlaws into slavery... find Osama and get the reward... quality machinery commands high prices whereas low quality machinery sells for pocket change.

Take no offense because of my bolsterous speech. I'm from the 'old school' and highly respect the trade of woodworking and always recommend buying the best the trade has to offer.

oakman

Can't go wrong with the Ryobi BT3100 for less than $300 at Home Depot

Reply to
Elmar

Does you mommy know you are playing with her computer? Don't let her catch you or she may spank you. Oh, you're too busy spanking the monkey.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Oakman, You obviously have not tried the link posted in the original message that you replied to. The person posting this is not looking for a TS.

I'm planning on helping this guy, I'm turning a fence post right now and he might know where to put it.

DM

Reply to
D. Martin

TROLL ALERT! TROLL ALERT! TROLL ALERT!

Chris is a giving guy, he likes men only as portrayed in his Christmas photo giving head to his boyfriend. He is obviously confused and doesn't know where to find any more of his kind.

Reply to
Phil

Perhaps he misunderstood the meaning of WoodWorking...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

DM, why don't you turn a nice pointy tip on the end of that post, we might be able to come up with a kick-back experiment with the OP standing behind the saw to protect the wall from damage.

... snip

snip

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Judging from the picture, He'll probaly enjoy putting there. :-O

Reply to
Donnie Vazquez

Donnie Vazquez responds:

Or he could run into the old fence post planter I saw some days ago: sharpened one end and drove the posts in with his bucket loader on the front of his tractor.

Charlie Self

Charlie Self