Table saw options

As long as there are lawyers, judges and juries, there will always be liability. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

On 11/16/2011 1:31 PM, CW wrote: ...

Where in the world might that be? I've never heard of such a restriction; generally gov't entities have surplus auctions all the time to try to recoup at least a few nickels...

Washington state.

--

Reply to
CW

metal extensions, left and right. My thinking, 30 years back, was "Sure wish I had cast iron extensions".

for woodworking. By now I have collected 3 additional TS's all with cast iron extensions, two with 5hp motors hanging from the back, and two with retractable wheels. Didn't pay more than $30 for any of them. The thinking was that I will assemble the best TS out of the best salvaged parts. (Have hobby machine shop and am more than capable of checking bearings, aligning arbors, etc. etc.)

instead of open cast iron grating. I suppose it is for dust collection reasons?

justify buying a cabinet saw, but would like to get close to it by assembling and building around the parts that I have. I don't do enough woodworking to warrant a high quality new purchase.

parts on Craigslist.

Others have mentioned having a great fence so enough said about that.

Does your setup include a splitter behind the blade? It keeps wood with internal stresses from closing on the blade and creating kickback. That can result in flinging wood at you or pulling your hand into the blade. Faster than you can react.

The splitter is generally part of the blade guard and if that is as worthless as most blade guards out there, and you remove it, then you really need to come up with an alternative splitter.

New table saws use riving knives rather than a splitter integral with the dust collector, and are actually safer enough to be an argument for getting a new saw, at any age.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

On 11/16/2011 3:46 PM, Han wrote: ...

Who are, for the most part, lawyers... :(

Reply to
dpb

When I worked for a state university, I wasn't allowed to give away or sell anything-- no matter how antiquated, or broken. It all had to go down to the surplus warehouse for auction. They had a pretty big facility with lots of expensive equipment and trucks and a big staff to pay wages and benefits. I am positive the whole department operated at a loss and cost the state much more money that throwing/giving away the stuff.

Reply to
-MIKE-

---------------------------------- "dpb" wrote:

---------------------------------- Liability!

Scrap it and the liability chain is broken.

When I asked about it, I was told that they were afraid that someone might profit from it.

Reply to
CW

---------------------------------- Ancient history.

The introduction of SawStop technology to the market has brought a whole new definition to machine tool liability.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Apparently that must be local policy, not state...

Reply to
dpb

Someone "who"? In the school system? If so, while looking at the available current auctions in WA for public schools/universities I also look at WA statute search results. Found only the expected result that any proceeds from the disposal of school district properties, real or personal, go to the appropriate district coffers. And, it was clear the school districts have the unfettered right to buy and sell any property to which they have title.

Sounds like an overly-fearful local school board. Maybe there was a goof-up in the past and this is the consequent over-reaction?

Reply to
dpb

Someone "who"? In the school system? If so, while looking at the available current auctions in WA for public schools/universities I also look at WA statute search results. Found only the expected result that any proceeds from the disposal of school district properties, real or personal, go to the appropriate district coffers. And, it was clear the school districts have the unfettered right to buy and sell any property to which they have title.

Sounds like an overly-fearful local school board. Maybe there was a goof-up in the past and this is the consequent over-reaction?

Seemed pretty goofy to me to but that is what I was told. Never did look it up. Not that interested. I know what I see though and lots of good stuff goes into the dumpster. It's more likely that the turn in process is a bigger PIA than it's worth.

Reply to
CW

On 11/16/2011 4:49 PM, CW wrote: ...

More likely the teller wasn't right (fully) I'd guess.

I really doubt a used school bus or car or major piece of gear goes in the dumpster. :)

--

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote in news:ja1cp1$rs3$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Because of HIPAA laws, the Manhattan VA destroyed all surplus equipment that could POSSIBLY have held any kind of data ...

Reply to
Han

Last time I looked, 52% of the current congress are lawyers. Way out of proportion to the general population and one of the biggest reasons for the sad state of affairs in the legislative branches of State and Federal governments.

Sad to say that two things will ultimately destroy this representative form of government: that fact above, plus the right of "everyman" to vote ... the first has gamed the latter to ultimate ruination.

Reply to
Swingman

According to:

's now at 43% (60% Senate and 37% House).

Yup. The 17th Amendment, the right of collective bargaining, etc..

Reply to
krw

However, every professional shop that I see has a solid surround on the TS instead of open cast iron grating. I suppose it is for dust collection reasons?

Please give me some harsh advise about which way to go. I can not, at my age, justify buying a cabinet saw, but would like to get close to it by assembling and building around the parts that I have. I don't do enough woodworking to warrant a high quality new purchase.

If the consensus is to go with a solid top I will gladly donate the unneeded parts on Craigslist.

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

I respectfully suggest that you search woodweb and craigslist for a good used industrial machine and you will be glad you did and possibly save some bucks. Lotsa stuff floating around right now.

Reply to
woodstuff