Table Saw Neener Application

Page 1 of 2
I don't get much in the way of woodworking gloat opportunities around here. The Craigslist deals are so rare as to be nonexistent, and we have no woodworking supply stores (or hell, even very many lumberyards) outside of the larger hardware stores, and I don't have the ability to hit up estate sales or anything right now.
So when I saw that Home Depot had their Ridgid R4511 table saws on sale for $299, I had to jump. The table saw my dad had given me, a nearly 40 year old 9" contractor style saw (with a table mounted motor), stopped turning on right after I was done making Christmas gifts last year, so the timing was ideal.
It's going to be an interesting adjustment, I think. In the past I had to hunt around for 8 1/2" Hitachi blades because I didn't want to pay a ton of money for the 9" blades, and the motor wasn't really up to the task of running the 8" dado set I bought a couple of years ago.
But I think buying a saw that was $600 a year ago for $299 isn't too shabby.
-Nathan

Good deal. You'll enjoy it.

Well, I had to take the saw back today.
When I went to unpack it last week, the table top was broken, almost perfectly 1/4 of the top was busted. All the way in to the insert, and about halfway down the side.
When I took the top off to assess other damage, the front trunnion was snapped clean in half, and the carriage assembly was completely collapsed down inside the cabinet.
There were no other saws in the region, and the nearest Ridgid service center is 2.5 hours away, with no weekend or evening hours.
All of the staff at the store were commiserating with me at the loss of such a good deal.
I'm hoping Ridgid comes out with their new saw quickly, as I don't live in a strong woodworking area, and Home Depot is the only store that carries decent equipment now that Lowes has stopped carrying Delta.
Otherwise, I'll be saving my pennies for a Grizzly 1023.

something you need to see: http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2009/09/28/ridgid-r4511-recalled-arbor-shaft-fails-sends-dado-sets-flying/
Now you just need a $100 Forrest blade and $150 Incra miter guage and you are almost there. ;^)
Great deal, congrats.

To clean finish out of my hvlp sprayer, I follow the instructions of "spraying the appropriate thinner" through the gun. What I didn't like is the cloud of "appropriate thinner" that this produced. After doing this for more times than I care to admit to, I came up with the idea of removing the air horns, then turning the turbine on just enough to pressurize the cup, shutting it off and *then* spraying the thinner through. With no atomizing air flow, there's no cloud of thinner, no muss, no fuss, just a thin stream of thinner from the tip that goes right back into the mason jar. Heck, with this method, I run the same thinner through a couple of times before one final rinse with fresh stuff and the gun is much cleaner as a result.
Again, probably obvious for long-time sprayers (Robert ;-) ), but it just dawned on me.
jc
To clean finish out of my hvlp sprayer, I follow the instructions of "spraying the appropriate thinner" through the gun. What I didn't like is the cloud of "appropriate thinner" that this produced. After doing this for more times than I care to admit to, I came up with the idea of removing the air horns, then turning the turbine on just enough to pressurize the cup, shutting it off and *then* spraying the thinner through. With no atomizing air flow, there's no cloud of thinner, no muss, no fuss, just a thin stream of thinner from the tip that goes right back into the mason jar. Heck, with this method, I run the same thinner through a couple of times before one final rinse with fresh stuff and the gun is much cleaner as a result.
Again, probably obvious for long-time sprayers (Robert ;-) ), but it just dawned on me.
jc

Thanks for a good tip, I like it.

Spraying into a bunched up rag works pretty well.
spraying into a rag is not a good idea because one would have to hold the rag thus allowing the appropriate thinner to come in contact with ones skin and hand.This would run the risk of injecting said thinner into ones body.Airless spray people know this is a quick trip to the hospital and runs the risk amputation.

Anybody who would point an airless at a rag in their hands deserves to go to the hospital, locked up and kept there.
On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 11:34:36 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

It would be nice if you read what I said before posting something as stupid as what you just posted.
On Feb 5, 3:34pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I was agreeing with Roemax, so why are you poking your snotty little nose in?
On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 14:54:29 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

How many of the "stupid pills" did you take?

HVLP, since you and Robotoy don't know, means "High Volume - L O W P R E S S U R E"
And nobody, including me, suggested pointing anything into your hand.

On Feb 5, 5:48pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

No shit, dickwad?
On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 14:55:27 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

No shit. Now you know.
On Feb 5, 6:43pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

...and what part of 3000psig airless did YOU not understand?
Salty do you hold the rag with your mouth most sane people would use there hand thus the hand warning post in the future take your hate elsewhere you are now officially killfiled I don't need to hear your shit

While I think it's pretty silly to spray the solvent into a rag as salty suggested (since it prevents re-using it as the OP described), it is *equally* silly to suggest as you did that an HVLP gun poses any significant risk of injury while doing so.